The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nutshell, I'm trying to decide whether a 90-P size tank or a 120-P size tank would be better for an aquascaping novice.

I'm in the process of planning my next tank. I had been planning to buy a cheap Aqueon 40 breeder, but I found out my LFS sells rimless tanks rather affordably. One with approximately the dimensions of a 90-P (36" x 18" x 18") is $249, and one like a 120-P (48" x 18" x 18") is $319. I did not take these measurements myself, so there's a chance they've just been rounded from exactly the ADA sizes.

I like the footprint of the 90-P (essentially a 2" taller 40b), and I've spent a fair amount of time working out the equipment I'd use for a 40b. (For any curious, the main points specific are a 36" Fluval Fresh & Plant 3.0, an Eheim 221, and a Hydor 200W inline heater.) However, there aren't many options for stands.

It seems like it would be a no-brainer to jump up to the next size for just $70. I've never wished one of my tanks was smaller (10g and 20H FW; 30H and 75g reef), and I don't want to regret not going bigger. Having been stuck with smaller FW tanks, I've always wanted a tank where I can have a larger shoal/school of fish, and the 120-P gives me more volume and space to accomplish that.

That said, I see some downsides to the 120-P. I've heard it's harder to aquascape compared to a 90-P, and of course the extra 30% volume means water changes are a bigger undertaking. It also means higher costs all around on equipment and hardscaping: going up to the 48" light adds $26, although I think one 2217 would still do the trick (1000L/hr on 50hz = 317gal/hr on 60hz = 5.5x turnover); probably more significant would be the increased hardscape costs. I'm also a little nervous that a cheap, larger rimless tank might leak.

I've had a planted tank for about 5 years, but I haven't been able to devote much time to it, so I'm not very experienced at growing plants or aquascaping. I don't know what kind of aquascape I want to do, but I'm leaning toward a nature/jungle type - something relatively low maintenance. I want something densely planted so shrimp can reproduce in the presence of fish.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Large volume of water things happen slower. Bigger tank more room to arrange stuff. What brand of tank are they selling?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Longer tanks are more aesthetically pleasing in aquascapes in my opinion. It allows for more negative space. Meaning you can have empty space that doesn't have plants or complicated hardscape. So a big patch of sand etc. I would definitely go for the 48" tank and not think twice about it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Initial start-up cost will be more as you pointed out but as the two previous posters, said and as you said, the bigger tank is the way to go. You won't regret it

It seems like it would be a no-brainer to jump up to the next size for just $70. I've never wished one of my tanks was smaller (10g and 20H FW; 30H and 75g reef), and I don't want to regret not going bigger. Having been stuck with smaller FW tanks, I've always wanted a tank where I can have a larger shoal/school of fish, and the 120-P gives me more volume and space to accomplish that.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Large volume of water things happen slower. Bigger tank more room to arrange stuff. What brand of tank are they selling?
I haven't had issues with my 20, so even the 90-P would be fine I'm sure. The room to arrange is definitely a plus, though.

I'm not sure what brand they carry - I'll call back tomorrow to ask.

Longer tanks are more aesthetically pleasing in aquascapes in my opinion. It allows for more negative space. Meaning you can have empty space that doesn't have plants or complicated hardscape. So a big patch of sand etc. I would definitely go for the 48" tank and not think twice about it.
Hmm, that's an interesting point. I do definitely appreciate having bare sand in an area, but I never seem to want to sacrifice space that would be used for plants. Thanks for the advice!

Initial start-up cost will be more as you pointed out but as the two previous posters, said and as you said, the bigger tank is the way to go. You won't regret it
Thanks! Aquascaping isn't any more of a challenge with the longer tank?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not more challenging - just more fun. There so many more possibilities with a larger tank - more plant species to use, bigger or more varied hardscape materials, etc
Appreciate the input! I'm getting pretty excited to set up a 48" tank, and a rimless one to boot. What an upgrade that will be after ~12 years of my Aqueon 20!

Keep an eye out for a journal appearing sometime in August or early September. (I'm in CA for the summer, so I can't do much other than plan until I drive back to VA in early August.)

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Who is your LFS in CA? Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who is your LFS in CA? Thanks.
Huh, I actually just asked someone in another thread about this - confused me for a sec.

I go to Your Reef for saltwater (if you're into corals, I highly recommend a visit - they have a really nice selection, and John, the owner, is a great guy) and Aquarium Depot for fresh. To be honest, I'm not blown away with Aquarium Depot. Their plant selection is always the same, and I'm not thrilled with their livestock either. (Their selection of saltwater fish and corals is good, though.)

I used to go to another store, Aqua Life, pretty much on a weekly basis, but they've gone vastly downhill. It's been a while since I've been there, and I don't remember them as having a noteworthy selection of anything.

What's your store of choice?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I am guessing you are in the Sacramento to area because you mentioned Aquarium Depo. I am curious where you found those rimless tanks.
I really like AquaWorkz but they are currently closed for remodeling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am guessing you are in the Sacramento to area because you mentioned Aquarium Depo. I am curious where you found those rimless tanks.
I really like AquaWorkz but they are currently closed for remodeling.
Oh, gotcha. I'm actually talking about the LFS in VA - I'm just staying in CA for the summer. Sorry to get your hopes up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts