The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello planted tank members. So this is my first planted tank. It was started in late April 2011 and is a continued work in progress. My interest is mostly in angelfish and the desire to create a harmoniously peaceful aquarium has become my passion. I have kept angels for the last 6 years and really enjoy them. I've always wanted a planted tank since I could remember, but was never prepared to take on something like that until I felt I had a good grasp on what it would take. My dream became a reality when in the spring I decided to get a 90 gallon tank and go planted. And now that I have, I've been meaning to post a journal here so here goes. . .

Some Stats

Lighting:
2 Coralife fixtures holding 4x28 watt T5 (2x6700k, 1x10000k, and 1xColorMax full Spectrum bulb) run 11 hours a day with Co2 (on timer)
1 24" T5HO fixture which is put in the center on for 4-6 hours (midday sun effect)

Equipment
: Eheim 2026 canister for filtration, Hydor inline heater

CO2:
Victor duel stage regulator w/drop checker, DIY reactor, and 10#Co2 Tank

Substrate:
80lbs of Eco-Complete, mixed with 40lbs of FloraMax

Parameters:
PH 6.4, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Kh 4, Water is a 50/50 mix of treated tap with Prime and RO with Equilibrium

Fertilization:
PPS pro dosing daily, weekly tests, Excel, and Flourish root tabs

Plants:

Echinodorus Parviflorus,
Echinodorus 'Rubin',
Echinodorus Tenellus,
Hydrocotyle leucocephala,
Heteranthera zosterifolia,
Nymphaea zenkeri,
Rotala Rotundifolia
Sagittaria subulata
Vallisneria Americana var. americana
Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis

Inhabitants
:
7-Pinoy Angelfish (Paraiba, Clowns, and Smokeys)
8- Emperor Tetras
1- clown pleco
1- otto cat

FTS 8.15.11

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be pulling the large Osiris Swords that I have right now, as I have sold them and am now going in a different direction. I really want more stem plants and was looking at Ludwigia Repens and Ludwigia Ovalis to add some subtle red coloring. I"ll also be adding some vals to the back, hoping that in time, they will add some dimension to the backdrop :biggrin:

Here is a little more on the evolution of this tank. I started journaling it on another forum before this one, even though I intended to journal it here! :icon_lol:

To anyone interested:

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=23112

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Months of work-- Finished stand

So last night my husband moved in the canopy he just finished and I am thrilled!! I have my completed show tank, the one I've always wanted! From the time we started drawing up the plans and design, this is what I had in mind. . . and it's incredible to see it put together! Now I can sigh, sit back and say, "AHHH. . . it's done"

(well the stand and canopy are :flick:) I just put in another plant order from Sweet Aquatics so I'm waiting on some new plants to add some color to my scape. I'll also be thinning the foreground plants as the dwarf sag is growing leaps and bounds in my tank! Next post should be of the new planting!! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got my shipment of Ludwigia Ovalis in and planted them as a bunch on the left side of the tank, in front of the stargrass and vals. I just love the color they add to the tank. Since the rocks in my tank are mostly a clay color, it really compliments the color of the tank! And since planting them last week, they have almost an inch! My rubin sword is also getting some great color. I will need to post some up close shots soon, but for now, here is a FTS update as of 9.5.11 :icon_smil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.