The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a single species tetra for a planted tank. I am thinking of harlequin rasboras but wanting input on a tetra species maybe. I do not want neons, cardinals, silver tip or rummy nose. Thanks

Looking for recommendations for a single species tetra for a planted tank. I am thinking of harlequin rasboras but wanting input on a tetra species maybe. I do not want neons, cardinals, silver tip or rummy nose. Thanks
90 gallon tank.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
you know what else? Danios. There are some pretty cool ones. they school well. plus breeding them is easy so you could literally buy just one male and one female and get your self a huge school with extras to sell. I don't know about spawning tetras or rasbora. But Danios are easy, they try in my 75 but no egg or fry will ever survive in there.

just a thought.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I love the school (shoal) of 12 rummy nose tetras in our 180g tank. They love following each other around and are very active fish... considerably more active than our Cardinals. We also like the looks of the rummy nose tetras although the cardinals look pretty cool too.

·
Registered
120G planted, 10G breeder
12 Posts
you know what else? Danios. There are some pretty cool ones. they school well. plus breeding them is easy so you could literally buy just one male and one female and get your self a huge school with extras to sell. I don't know about spawning tetras or rasbora. But Danios are easy, they try in my 75 but no egg or fry will ever survive in there.

just a thought.
I'm with Aaronious and the danios (especially long fin and leopards) however...My LFS had some Black Phantom Tetras is an appropriately lit tank and it was nothing short of a stunning display...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since this is a recommendation on what we would recommend --- I dont care for micro-species in larger tanks. If it were my tank I would put larger tetras to scale with tank. Congo tetras are my favorite ( I have 4 different varieties in my 180 gallon). I also like Flame- back Bleeding Heart Tetras.
I on the other hand am just discovering I like small fish in a bigger tank. Wanting the smaller of the tetras for the 4 foot tank. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some of my embers in my tank. Still schooling nicely 18 months later. A much larger school in your tank would look pretty amazing.

Very nice.

Thinking on these right now.

I'm with Aaronious and the danios (especially long fin and leopards) however...My LFS had some Black Phantom Tetras is an appropriately lit tank and it was nothing short of a stunning display...
View attachment 1026962 View attachment 1026963
These are nice .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.