The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new user to Plantedtank forums. My name is Mike and I have been in the aquarium hobby for a little over 10 years now. About a year ago I started my first planted tank with a 55 gallon. Now I have moved onto a 90 gallon acrylic tank with Co2 and high light and a smaller 10 gallon planted tank that I will also be documenting in the near future.

I made the hardscape for this 90 gallon last Sunday and added the montecarlo in the same day. Here is a list of my components:

Tank: 90 Gallon Clear for Life Acrylic - 48*18*24

Filters: Rena XP3 and Sunsun 404B
Both filters have matching intakes because I'm super picky like that ;)

CO2: 5 lb. CO2 with ADA beetle diffuser and aquatek regulator (I like the look of the glass diffuser so I chose this over an inline diffuser) Currently at about 5 bbs.

Lighting: 2 Finnex Ray 2's at 24" (may need to add one more light due to the height of the tank)

Substrate: Aquariumfertilzer.com Black Diamond Substrate - my buddy who has some beautiful tanks swears by this stuff and it saved me a ton of money

Rocks: 65 lbs. of Seiryu stone!

Running the lights on a 10 hour cycle daily with Co2 - also adding in 5-6ML of macro micro nutrients and 2 caps of excel daily.

The monte carlo has already started growing in just a week. It took about 9 caps of it. May need to add a few more. My future plan is to add blyxia, repens, and some dwarf hair grass to the top tier of the tank where the mountain like structures of the seiryu stone are. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on dosing, lighting, livestock, etc. I am always open since I'm still learning the ropes! :)

View attachment 450569

View attachment 450577

View attachment 450593

View attachment 450585

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice my first reply! Thanks Nate :)

To be honest, I don't know man.. I am still super new to the planted tank hobby and I saw some scapers recommending it even with co2. Since it's essentially doing the same thing as the co2, should I just skip the excel?

Bump: Btw Nate, I just checked out your setup and it looks awesome. I'm thinking I should organize the bottom of my tank to be super clean like that too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh I see! Ok I will cut down on the excel then. My monte carlo is starting to take off great. Tons of new leaves are peaking through the soil now. This Sunday I'm going to go pick out some new plants to add up on the top level. I'm thinking low growing plants will look best to keep a nice "mountain range" feel of the scape. Maybe some blyxia, repens, and small hydrocotyle carpets? LMK if you have any other good recommendations?

Bump:
It looks great, really nice. I think it could use a little more height on the left side, but overall pretty great!

As for excel, you can skip it if you like, but I dose excel even with co2.
I know what you mean... Darn I used 2 - 5 gallon buckets of substrate too and used every last bit of it to build it up that high.. I wish I would have added some rocks or base under the left side to help with the height.. Is it too late to try and build it up more?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Chizpa! I'm excited to post updates! The montecarlo is already doing great and peaking through the substrate. Going to get some blyxia and hairgrass this weekend.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Trujill, I got these stones from a place called Pet Supreme in Sylmar, CA. They are "seiryu stone"

The stuff costs a pretty penny though and I got 65 lbs! lol around $200 for all of them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Wanted to post a quick update on the tank. I liked how a lot of scapers kept a clean display under the hood so I organized my filters and cables and added some LED's >.<. Also, I wanted to show off the nice wood work my friend did on the stand and canopy. He is a finished carpenter and custom made this for the tank. It's stained espresso and has recessed paneling and some nice moldings. The Monte carlo is doing well, lots of little baby leaves peaking through the soil. Finally made up my mind on the plants to add this week and went with hydrocotyle sp, repens, and blyxia. Lmk if you think I should any other ideas of what I should plant!!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts