The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone,
Just set up my new fluval frontier 90g tank.I do plan on removing the wysteria once the tank is established, and I also am going to fill in some carpeting plant in the foreground, possibly hc. I am looking for some help regarding the scape of this tank. all opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Nice tank! What is the sword-like plant near the wisteria? And did you make your background, or buy it? It looks great : )

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice tank! What is the sword-like plant near the wisteria? And did you make your background, or buy it? It looks great : )
Thanks driftwoodhunter, I actually collected and prepared all the wood in the tank myself too. They are from the ramapo river. The background was purchased, I wish I could make them that well, below is a shot of my last tank, which I did build the background for. I could have made a better one the second time around, just did not want to take on such a huge project as a 90 gallon and I really liked the one I purchased. As for the "sword like plant" I am not sure which one you mean, there is a lot of wysteria in there. probably the one i cant ID eiether. where in the tank did you mean? The plants in the tank are: camboba furcata, java fern, wysteria, blyxa japonica, staurogyne repens, limnophila aromatica, orchid lily, and 1 unidentified plant. I will be adding some foreground plants and something to attatch to the driftwood.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's the large plant to the left, centered in the driftwood (1st pic).
Wow! Your background looks great in the lower pics - did you use concrete or Drylok? It has a wonderful color and texture.
In your last pic, are the two large leafy plants in the center two different kinds of plant? Are those the Java fern? Also is the reddish plant to the extreme front/left a crypt? (lol, sorry to be a pest, I'm trying to learn my plants)
Beautiful tanks!
Cindy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the large plant to the left, centered in the driftwood (1st pic).
Wow! Your background looks great in the lower pics - did you use concrete or Drylok? It has a wonderful color and texture.
In your last pic, are the two large leafy plants in the center two different kinds of plant? Are those the Java fern? Also is the reddish plant to the extreme front/left a crypt? (lol, sorry to be a pest, I'm trying to learn my plants)
Beautiful tanks!
Cindy
Thanks! I actually used quikcrete for that background on top of foam board insulation that I carved and distressed with a dremel tool. It eventually grew algae and parts flaked off so it got that look. As for the plant in the driftwood itis java fern. I think it is sometimes looked down on as a "beginners plant" by the planted tank crowd, but I really like it and think it looks great when attached to hardscape. The red plant on the left in pic 3 is orchid lily, I think that is the one you mean.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Oh no! I just did my first two backgrounds with drylok, I hope they don't flake because I used the blue insulation foam form Lowes! lol What's worse then blue gravel? Blue backgrounds! ; )
I hear what you're saying about "beginner" plants, I love wisteria. Since I have low light (I use T5NO bulbs) I am getting more java ferns, etc. I really love the look of them.
I'll have to look up orchid lily, I am unfamiliar with it.
Thanks!
Cindy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no! I just did my first two backgrounds with drylok, I hope they don't flake because I used the blue insulation foam form Lowes! lol What's worse then blue gravel? Blue backgrounds! ; )
I hear what you're saying about "beginner" plants, I love wisteria. Since I have low light (I use T5NO bulbs) I am getting more java ferns, etc. I really love the look of them.
I'll have to look up orchid lily, I am unfamiliar with it.
Thanks!
Cindy
I dont know about drylock bit quikcrete definitely flaked after a few months It also raised the ph constantly, I was always adding peat and chemicals to get it back down to the 7.8 range :icon_conf

Luckily the color of the foam was a seafoam color that looks just like lichen that grows on rocks, so it still looked cool. To be fair I did not really wait long enough between coats. I would let it dry for a couple days even between coats if I were doing another one. Orchid lily is a great plant that can grow in low light. It grows from a bulb that you plant just below the substrate. I got mine from [Ebay Link Removed] They were supposed to be "red tiger lotus" but looked nothing like the picture. I actually only know what it is from browsing the plant ID section of this website. So far I just have red leaves but I believe it will eventually grow a lily pad!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.