The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a ATI sunpower unit that holds 8x54w tubes, two of which are actinic
I intend to change all the bulbs that are currently in place as they were used for a marine setup ... I have trawled the net for advice on combinations of tubes to use for a high spec planted tank but most advice relates to marine setups

The information I did find recommended aqua flora tubes combined with midday 6000 ..and some used purple, blue specials, and a 10,000k bulb ....

I wondered if anyone has any advice on the best combination to use for both plants and fish

Are the tubes mentioned above a good mix? And how many of each would people recommend
As a guide I wrote down the following:
1 blue special
2 purple
3 aqua flora
4 midday 6000
5 midday 6000
6 aqua flora
7 10,000k
8 blue special

Obviously these were just my first thoughts so any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The color temperatures of the bulbs has nothing to do with how much light you will get from that 8 bulb light. I suggest starting by using only 2 of the bulbs, or, at most 4 of them - the front two and the back two, to keep them well separated. That could still be more light than you can live with.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have that same tank (120g) and you have way too much light. i just bought a new ATI 6x54 to replace my 8x54 tek that i used for 7 years. with good reflectors (both tek and ati have them) you can get away with only 4 bulbs. and even then you need good co2 and ferts or its algae ville. i bought the ati for its dimming capability and timer functions. even suspended 8-12 inches or more its alot of light at 100%. run 4 bulbs and see if you get the results you want. all 8 is way too much for fw planted IME.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The color temperatures of the bulbs has nothing to do with how much light you will get from that 8 bulb light. I suggest starting by using only 2 of the bulbs, or, at most 4 of them - the front two and the back two, to keep them well separated. That could still be more light than you can live with.
Agreed.

I run 2x54 of T5HO over my low tech 90gal (tank on the right in my signature). And it's on the cusp of needing CO2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all
Thanks for the input .... I will probably go with using 4 tubes
.. and look at using two aquaflora and two midday till I can manage to replace the unit with a more specific one for a planted tank

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a sun blaze 8x54 watt fixture on my 75 gallon tank. I just ordered replacement bulbs, it came with (8) 6500K bulbs installed.

(2) AquaSun 10000°K T-5 HO Fluorescent Tubes 48" 54 watt
(2) AquaticLife T5 HO Pink Roseate 650nm Fluorescent Lamps 48" 54W 650nm
(2) TrueLumen Flora T-5 HO Freshwater 6700°K Fluorescent Tubes 48" 54W
(2) TrueLumen 460nm Blue 54W 48"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.