The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, it's been a while since i've posted anything here. was wondering if you guys could help me figure out a centerpiece plant for my scape at the top left corner.

currently in the tank are anubias nana 'petite', hydocotyle sibthorpioides, and utricularia fulva (an experimental plant, i like the finer texture of this plant as it doesnt seem to get too long vs utricularia graminifolia, and can be replaced for hairgrass); will find out if it can be a viable aquarium plant option. to add to my mixed carpet, i want to throw in a couple of crypt. parva--but what i really need is a nice centerpiece plant. any ideas?

probably *the* selling point of this tank:

sorry for potato pictures. i dont really prioritize progress pics.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nice tank. I like the rock work. I'm partial to Rotala's myself, and I'm not sure if you'd consider them a "centerpiece" plant, but what about Rotala macrandra var. 'Narrow Leaf'
or Rotala 'nanjenshan'?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggestions! i like going along with the narrow leaf idea. have a little varieties with textures. since the hardscape is already red in color, i might shy away from red plants.... going to look more into your second suggestion!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Narrow Leaf Java Fern is really nice looking. Stargrass when it grows and bushes out is also a nice color and bright shiny green.

Willow Hygro is a new one I just got and so far it's a beautiful color and very nice narrow leaves. Another new favorite of mine is Echinodorus angustifolia 'Vesuvius', it has narrow leaves which curl in spirals, it's beautiful.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you mentioned star grass, as I was considering that one too. I really like the java fern but it might be problematic as it matures-- I love a solid specimen plant but when it dwarfs everything else, I don't know... Thanks for your suggestions. Will look at your other suggestions when I get home.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So have you decided on a centerpiece plant yet?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So have you decided on a centerpiece plant yet?
Awww, thanks for following up with me. I think I'm going to do a combination as just having one plant might leave much tone desired. I will be utilizing some trident java fern and will be contrasting that with some rotala (still haven't made up my mind yet----too many choices, may be nanjenshan, but macrandra var green, and rotundifolia are also contenders) and blyxa japonica.

Edit: and here's a progress pic to show my appreciation:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts