The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok after lots of debate as to what i should do with my spare tank i am wondering if a dwarf frog tank would be good i have a closed top for my aquarium and was wondering for a few questions
what does it eat?
how many?
what temp?
live plants?
how long will it live?
these are my main questions but post if you now more about the topic

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
ok after lots of debate as to what i should do with my spare tank i am wondering if a dwarf frog tank would be good i have a closed top for my aquarium and was wondering for a few questions
what does it eat?
how many?
what temp?
live plants?
how long will it live?
these are my main questions but post if you now more about the topic
I would not put more than 2 in a tank this size. They like their space. You can do live plants they don't mess with them. As far as lighting, 12 on and 12 off. They will can be kept in temps the same as tropical fish, although I think the 70's would be better. You can also feed blood worms, brine shrimp and the like. Filtration should not be too strong. They tend to live in still slightly stagnant water. Not very hard to take care of. A decent weekly water change is also a must as they are slightly messy eaters. They will eat any meaty food they can fit in their mouth, so fish must be bigger than them but not large enough to eat them. Fin nipping fish will find their legs and arms easy targets. Make sure you have a little room at the top of the water as they breathe air at the surface. I have successfully kept mine in community 10 gal and 20gal high tanks. These frogs are full of character and really fun to have. Good luck.:proud:

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
okay thankyou guys my only other question is how often do i feed them and how much?
I used to feed every other day and only once. Any more than that, and I found that they got fat. It is really up to you. If you feed less all at once, you can feed more often.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
okay i added my frog and hes doing good
but i have frozen blood worms and he isnt going for them what do i do
I used to defrost mine in an old water bottle with tank water. Then freeze what you don't use and thaw it under hot water with the bottle closed. I think he will go after them more if they are thawed and look like they are moving. I never had a problem getting mine to eat like that.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
yes put them in a small cup of tank water and use foreceps to dangle a few right in front of their noses. if they are not afraid, they will go for them. you have to spot feed them like this to make sure they always get the food.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are only three problems though
a. my worms float at the top of the water and my danios eat them first
b. second hes actually a claw frog is the diet any different?
c. when i tried to tweezer feed him he swam away like crazy

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
there are only three problems though
a. my worms float at the top of the water and my danios eat them first
b. second hes actually a claw frog is the diet any different?
c. when i tried to tweezer feed him he swam away like crazy
You may have to get the danio out of there, and that frog is going to get big man. You need a new tank for it.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
hmm this guy does seem really skittish if he gets too big can i put him in my community tank or will he eat my shrimps
Regular clawed frogs get rather large. Think bullfrog large. And he will heat anything he can get into his mouth. Shrimp, fish, small children. As long as he can swallow it, he will eat it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
African Clawed Frogs get the size of your hand. When they get big enough, they will eat fish. If you put a smaller ACF in with it, it will eat the smaller one. I say a ten gallon tank for 1 adult frog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts