The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to fish keeping and decided to jump right in I had 2- 2' 18w plant lights over the top before and it just wasn't doing it... so I figured I've got em sitting around.. now I've go two 240w hanging over side by side with some plants all around, I know I'm gonna have an algea issue vary soon, any recommendations. It's a low tech 75gal unheated(70-72) I use my well water which comes out the tap at 7.8 0-0-5 and I add 5ml flourish when I do 50% water changes once a week, open to all sorts of suggestions just need info...

Update....The new lighting increased my ph today by .5 white cloud mountian minnows are pissed, maybe time to look into co2 and more plants??
Water Wood Plant Grass Pet supply

Plant Houseplant Lighting Interior design Pet supply

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm pretty sure the white clouds aren't being negatively affected by a little less CO2 in the water.

It isn't clear how much light is actually reaching the tank -- glass tops, unfocused LEDs about 18" up. I'm assuming those are "240w equivalent" rather than actually drawing 240w each from the wall socket. They look like nifty lights, though.

But if you know that you're going to have an algae issue, then yes more plants and CO2 are great ideas. I'm partial to pressurised CO2 on a pH controller with an inline diffuser -- certainly others will have other simpler advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to fish keeping and decided to jump right in I had 2- 2' 18w plant lights over the top before and it just wasn't doing it... so I figured I've got em sitting around.. now I've go two 240w hanging over side by side with some plants all around, I know I'm gonna have an algea issue vary soon, any recommendations. It's a low tech 75gal unheated(70-72) I use my well water which comes out the tap at 7.8 0-0-5 and I add 5ml flourish when I do 50% water changes once a week, open to all sorts of suggestions just need info...

Update....The new lighting increased my ph today by .5 white cloud mountian minnows are pissed, maybe time to look into co2 and more plants?? View attachment 1035700
View attachment 1035699
what do you want to POP? there is hardly any plant in there, co2 would not make a great deal of difference, add plants, losts of them in that size tank and with the co2 it will the pop. Chin off the airstone as that will release the co2 your injecting in there

·
Registered
6 Posts
what do you want to POP? there is hardly any plant in there, co2 would not make a great deal of difference, add plants, losts of them in that size tank and with the co2 it will the pop. Chin off the airstone as that will release the co2 your injecting in there
Co2 will help plants outcomes algea.
I agree rhat you don't really have enough plants to require co2 at this point.

Also you will need ferts for the plants as well.
Btw with a 75 you have alot of options for a cool tank with inverts and fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Co2 will help plants outcomes algea.
I agree rhat you don't really have enough plants to require co2 at this point.

Also you will need ferts for the plants as well.
Btw with a 75 you have alot of options for a cool tank with inverts and Fish
So I have 7 golden wcmm, 5 wcmm 15red cherry shrimp (today I noticed a few babies roaming around), and 15 ghost shrimp and a butt load of bladder and rams horn snail (I've cut back feeding a whole lot this past week), just noticed some hydra as well. I've planted a bit more and bba is starting to grow. I can't get nitrates any higher than 5 ppm though, everything seems to be growing though, the banana plant is growing super slow though.
Plant Leaf Wood Yellow Grass
Plant Vertebrate Botany Organism Vegetation
Plant Fish supply Terrestrial plant Organism Wood
Plant Water Vertebrate Nature Botany
Plant Botany Wood Vegetation Terrestrial plant
Plant Vertebrate Water Wood Vegetation
Plant Vertebrate Organism Vegetation Grass

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It water wisteria that I just put in today, I haven't figured out if I'm gonna plant it in this tank or another

·
Super Moderator
16,061 Posts
Question for you guys...is that enough substrate for root development? It looks shallow to me but Im not terribly experienced.
Please start creating your own threads when you have questions that are unrelated to what others are discussing.

But yes, that's enough substrate - it's a 75-gallon tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I figured it was on target enough since it was a general discussion about his plants growing faster and better. But I will do so in the future, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts