The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread earlier about my 125g, but im not able to put that up yet so im going with my 75g for now:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/92918-125g-amazon-tank.html

I was thinking along this line:

- 1m/3f German blue rams
-25 Rummynose
-10 cories [any suggestion?]
-10 ottos
-6 hatchet fish

Would that be overstocked?? Or should I add a few more [rummy's or corries?]?? Could I add a pair of bushynosed plecos??

Dose anyone know if in South America where GBR's are from if its rocky/gravel or sandy?? And heavily planted or heavily woody?? I want to try to get it as close to possible. With all fish being from SA [maybe not exact locations] And try to get the plants as close to possible.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i think that stocking sounds fine, not sure if you could add more,

GBRs are from the orinoco river basin in venezuela and colombia. They inhabit slow moving heavily planted streams. when u say heavily woody i guess that is just lots of wood which they will enjoy as well.

just make sure u got a tight lid for the hatchets and maybe get a few more of those

cory sterbai are popular as are the wild caught cory agazzi, myself personally im a nano guy so i like hastatus and habrosus. juli cories are nice too

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would say that stock is about right. I probably have more than you in a 55g right now :X.

sandy substrate

cory sterbai would work nicely with rams since they don't mind the higher temps that rams like.

I would skip the BN plecos.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_rio_sucasari.htm

WATER:
pH 5.5-6.5, 0-4 dH, 79-84 F (26-29 C)

TANK:
Use fine gravel, sand, or clay for a substrate.
No Rocks
Ideally, woody material should be the most prominent decoration in the tank. Use scattered Amazon swords and reedy plants like Vallisneria.
Lighting should be subdued and filter outflows placed to create little current.

- 1m/3f German blue rams
-25 Rummynose
-10 cories [any suggestion?]
-12 ottos
-6 hatchet fish

Emerald Catfish -Brochis splendens
Adolf's Cory -Corydoras adolfoi
Bronze Catfish -Corydoras aeneus
Giant Cory -Corydoras barbatus
Dwarf Corydoras- Corydoras hastatus
Peppered Corydoras - Corydoras paleatus
Panda Cory -Corydoras panda
Pygmy Corydoras - Corydoras pygmaeus
Reticulated Catfish - Corydoras reticulatus
Juli Catfish-Corydoras trilineatus

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Rams for monogamist pairs, so you might as well balance the male/female ratio. At 75 gal. 2 or 3 pair would be ok.
Mine didn't. I had 2m/4f in a 90gal tank the subordinate male was bullied by all 5 of the others. Only the dominant male spawned with the females, and spawned with all 4 of them, averaging one every 2 weeks (though he did spawn once with 2 separate females on the same day...) Eventually the subordinate male died.

Shadow, I really like your stocking plan.

+2 on Corydoras sterbai as they do well in the low to mid 80 degree temps that Rams prefer.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't mix Rams, personally. You might be OK or they might fight... it's kind of flipping a coin with cichlids.

I'd bump up the numbers of your schools as Jason suggested.

Are you going to have a top on this tank? If you have any gaps at all in the tank covering, you'll lose those hatchets right and left; they literally fly.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Angelfish are a lot of fun. They get to know you and will get excited when they see you come near the tank. Some might say they just want the food, but I think mine just really like me:proud:

At that size tank, and with all of the other fish you want in there, I would go for just one really nice angel. The rule of thumb is 1 or more than 3. Angels can be bullies. They are especialy mean once they pair up and start to spawn. With just one, you would at least avoid that issue.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd add more to the hatchetfish school, as 6 is a small #. There's 3 species of hatchets common to the hobby (silver, marbled, Marthae) so you could add a different species if you don't want more of what you already have. They'd commonly be found schooling together in the wild (though based on my recent collecting experience in Bolivia I've started wondering if Marthae are nocturnal?)

You should be able to add Angels if you want to. If you're interested in establishing a breeding pair, you could buy 7 juveniles and then let them pair off. You'd need to rehome most if not all but the pair once they reach maturity and start spawning, however. (For bioload reasons, I wouldn't add both a school of angels and add hatchets.)

If you don't add angels and just a few more hatchets, you could bump up your Rummy school another 5-10 fish.

I wouldn't add more Otos to the tank, unless you're faithful about feeding them raw veggies.

What filtration do you have on this tank?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Eheim 2026

- 1m/3f German blue rams
-25 Rummynose tetra
-10 Corydoras sterbai
-12 ottos
-6 hatchet fish

okay no Angles.
How many more hatchets could I do?
Also could I add a few more cories?

I just won a action on aquabid for 25 swords so they will be having a sword jungle. And I finally got the 75g up and the filter running.

I plan on getting the tank planted and finding some bog wood then getting some fish to help cycle it.
Would Danio's still work for cycling??

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you're adding another 6 or so hatchets I'd only add a few more Cories (less than 5).

And I strongly recommend doing a "fishless cycle" on the tank rather than using danios. No putting fish at risk and you can stock immediately once the cycle is complete. Do a search, or ask if you can't pull up any threads...

·
Registered
423 Posts
*psss* danios aren't from SA :)

What would you do with them after your tank cycles and you start gathering your SA fish?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay Ill see about doing a fishless cycle.

How does this look for stocking?

- 1m/3f German blue rams - 1female being gold
-30 Rummynose tetra
-15 Corydoras sterbai or Corydoras aeneus [bronze/green cory]
-10 ottos
-12 hatchet fish

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd add the Cories first, personally.

Will you be using a QT tank? (I VERY strongly recommend QTing your fish at least 2 weeks (I do 4 weeks) before adding them to the tank; it can get very expensive very quickly if you introduce a disease or pathogen to a tank this size).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts