The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, this is my first post on this site. I am currently in the process of moving and unfortunately i have to take down my two tanks (75g cichlid tank and 20g shrimp/nano tank). I have about a month in between closings but luckily my buddy said I can move the 20g to his house for the time being but I will need to rehome the cichlids. While this sucks it opens up the opportunity for me to set up my dream tank of a huge planted community tank of just shrimp and nano fish.

Any tips or ideas will be welcomed.

One question I do have is currently on my 75g I have a fluval fx6 canister filter which I know will be overkill on the shrimp tank but I do not plan on buying any new equipment. I know a prefilter will keep the shrimp from getting sucked into the filter but do you guys think the shrimp will end up getting stuck to the prefilter?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think so, but I dont have a cannister on my 75, just a monstrous HOB (Aqueon). I have had shrimplets live in my coarse sponge prefilter and then leave when they get big enough to venture out in the open. The flow doesn't seem to bother them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so, but I dont have a cannister on my 75, just a monstrous HOB (Aqueon). I have had shrimplets live in my coarse sponge prefilter and then leave when they get big enough to venture out in the open. The flow doesn't seem to bother them.
I originally had two marineland 350 HOB filters but I wasn't a fan of how loud they were. the fx6 is virtually silent.
What did you use for substrate did you use? I used fluval stratum in my 20g but I'm not sure I want to do just that in the 75g that would be $$$$

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have caribsea eco-complete, but I wouldn't do that again. It's too expensive and it's a pain in the butt to get stem plants to stay put. I'm going to eventually convert over to blasting sand. I just did a 10 gallon with it and I like it much better.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have caribsea eco-complete, but I wouldn't do that again. It's too expensive and it's a pain in the butt to get stem plants to stay put. I'm going to eventually convert over to blasting sand. I just did a 10 gallon with it and I like it much better.
I have pool filter sand in my 75g. I did leave some gravel in there under the sand to make planting a little easier. I guess I can add the stratum over the sand or do something to make it look cool

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Are you using RO water and GH minerals with the Fluval?

What type of shrimp did you plan on keeping?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you using RO water and GH minerals with the Fluval?

What type of shrimp did you plan on keeping?
Honestly when I first set up the my 10g I did not use RO water or GH minerals. I used some calcium stuff until that was done but never used anything else. When I upgraded to the 20g I never used anything other than to treat the water (seachem prime and stability) I started with maybe 10 shrimp and have easily 40+ now so I figured whatever I was doing was working.

These were taken 8 days apart

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I ask simply because Fluval is an active substrate that lowers the pH. Each time you do a water change, you are causing fluctuating water parameters. Some shrimp can handle it, some can't.

Depending on how much KH is in your water may depend on how long it's buffering capabilities last.The more KH, the shorter it's lifespan, or ability to lower the pH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know using sand could create gas bubbles but what is everyone's opinion on using a combo of sand and stratum or something similar?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I know using sand could create gas bubbles but what is everyone's opinion on using a combo of sand and stratum or something similar?
Ignore the evil gas bubble talk. It's internet nonsense. I run all my tanks with a thin layer of aquasoil followed by 1.5+ inches of sand. Have run sand 8 inches deep in some places in the past. Currently 5 inches deep in my low tech tank in the back. This causes no problems.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
All of my dirted/ walstad tanks/ vases have been sand capped. Most of the mid/ high tech have been combos of aquasoil and sand. I have a personal love of substrates being around 3-5 inches toward the back sloping to about a half inch to an inch and a half in the front. I've had very few problems and the only anaerobic mess I've come across was in a couple walstads. I can't give you a definitive reason why it happened (what I did to cause it) but it happened. Sometimes you have to break a couple plates to serve a meal, lol.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
If you use an active substrate topped with sand, the sand might just fall through the substrate.

If you use enough sand that it doesn't all fall through the substrate, then you may be wasting your money on active substrate if you do in fact want lower pH... but again, it's recommended to use RO water and GH minerals when using active substrate.

Unless you mean to use sand on the bottom with the active substrate on top?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you use an active substrate topped with sand, the sand might just fall through the substrate.

If you use enough sand that it doesn't all fall through the substrate, then you may be wasting your money on active substrate if you do in fact want lower pH... but again, it's recommended to use RO water and GH minerals when using active substrate.

Unless you mean to use sand on the bottom with the active substrate on top?
I always figured the sand would just fall through. I was kind of thinking about just dividing the substrates in different spots just give it a different look

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also run a planted nano community with ghost, cherry and amono shrimp.
If there is questions I could help you with I always enjoy trying to help. I also use tap water not r/o.
20210513_154630.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also run a planted nano community with ghost, cherry and amono shrimp.
If there is questions I could help you with I always enjoy trying to help. I also use tap water not r/o.
View attachment 1029504
Thats pretty much what I want to do. I have a bunch of cherry shrimp in my 20g along with some Cory's and harlequin rasboras, a clown pleco, and hillstream loach. I want a couple bamboo shrimp. Them things are awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats pretty much what I want to do. I have a bunch of cherry shrimp in my 20g along with some Cory's and harlequin rasboras, a clown pleco, and hillstream loach. I want a couple bamboo shrimp. Them things are awesome.
Bamboo shrimp and honey gouramies are next to impossible for my tank. You need a dirty tank I think for the Bamboo shrimp.

I have 13 rasbora espie and rainbow tetra as my main schooling fish with sidmunki loaches
Hope it comes along well for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts