Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a show piece fish for my 75 gallon planted tank. Currently i have:

10 dwarf Neons (pracox)
20 espei (lambchop rasboras)
4 otos
10 pygmy corys
1 siamesis algae eater
10 amano shrimp.

I have 2 nice schools going but i need something a bit bigger (not 2 big). I was thinking maybe:

3 opaline gouramis.. females only because the males can be aggressive. Worried about them getting to big though. I read they can get 6”. Personally not a huge fan of the pearls. To many speckles.

Or

Perhaps 3 angels...again, size might be to large, not sure if they fit the “look” of my tank

Or

3-5 Congo Tetras. These are not true “show peice” fish but they dont get two big and they have an interesting look. Dont know if the have the personality i am looking for given they are just a tetra.

Any other ideas?

I may decide to get a pair or 2 of apistos in the future to explore the bottom of the tank. This largely depends how full the tank looks after getting the Show piece fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
My heavily planted 75g stocking in a similar setup:
1M - 2F Apisto Agazzi "Fire Red" as my centerpiece fish
20-ish Beckford Pencil
10 Black tetras
15 Panda Cory
4 Rubbernose Plecos
4 Kuli Loachs

With your stocking I think the Shrimp might not work out long term. Any form of Cichild or Gouramis would pick them off and maybe even the larger Congo tetras, too. My Apistos regularly take out snails and shrimp are a much easier snack.

Before the Apistos I had a colony of 8 Peacock Gudgeons with the same general population stocking in the tank. They kept around mid-water weaving in and out of the large Amazon Sword & Java Fern in my tank making egg nests in the leaves. Colorful fish, interesting to watch, and very easy to care for without them taking out your shrimp.

I've also kept a colony of Dicrossus Filamentosus Checkerboard Cichlids that were very similar in nature to the Apistos, but with a much smaller mouth and less likely to take out your shrimp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m setting up a 68g and am planning on Gold Gouramis as the show piece fish. I think they are under appreciated, but really one of the most colourful of the larger gouramis. Plus, my theme is black and yellow : )

They look similar to the 3 spots. I am Guessing they are the same kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A note to use care with the angels. If you look at their body and how they feed, you may note that they do a lot of looking up for food. A point on neons is that they are not good at hiding in plants but often go up to try to get away. The combo is often not good for neons! while it can work for some time while the angles grow, I've never had it work long term as they get bigger and want more live foods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a rainbowfish guy, so would look for a deep-bodied rainbowfish as a show-stopper. As a rainbowfish snob, I have to say there are some tetras that give rainbows a run for their money, and the mature Congo, when happy, is one of them. Plus, they are always "on"! You could get 7 or 8 more and have a nice show. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.