The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have my 75G tank all cycled with 6 peppered corys, and before I start buying fish/plants/driftwood I thought I would see if anyone has any suggestions.

Plants:
duckweed
stargrass
anachris

Fish:
Black neon tetra x 25
spotfin hatchetfish x 13
Peppered cory x 13
Umbrella cichlid x 3-5
flag cichlid x 3-5
oto x 7-10

My plan is for the flag cichlids and the umbrella cichlids to keep the rest of the fish schooling tightly. If a tetra gets knocked off once and a while, thats OK, I plan to breed them anyway. The scape is going to be pretty simple, mostly open water with some big rounded boulders and a little driftwood in one corner. The sand is silica sand but it is to thin to anchor plants in. The duckweed is needed to keep the tank a little dark, simulating the natural conditions of rio paraguay.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I love the idea you have put into this tank. With the plants you are planning, I don't see the need for a lot of light, so I would recommend staying away from T5HO. It'd just put out too much light for the feel you are looking for.

Instead of duckweed, have you thought about salvinia minima? The texture on this plant is beautiful and gets a nice flesh tone underneath.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the tank free and it came with 80 watts of T12 which is just about perfect. I didnt really think about salvinia minima, the only thing I know about it is that is ruins our local waterways. Next time I am in LA I will check it out at a fish store, I have never seen it locally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that I am going to stick with the duckweed, the reason being that, as far as I can tell, salvinia floats on the surface and releases its O2 into the air. Since my tank doesn't have much agitation and a relatively high bioload, I can use all the O2 I can get.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Not a bad idea to stay with the duckweed, then. That is interesting about the salvinia. I am going to do some googling now. Good luck with the scape.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Duckweed is a floater, too, so I think I'm missing something...? IME Salvinia is easier to manage than duckweed, since if you decide to remove it at some point you've got a shot of getting it all out. Duckweed, however, is a long war to ever get rid of LOL

I've tried and tried to keep Stargrass in my 90gal with no CO2, but never could get it past a few months. :(

Have you given any thought to trying to grow some grasses that could grow emersed and out the top of the tank? I've no idea where you might find any, but that could really "make" the biotope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts