The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and new to planted tanks. My son and I are doing this together.

We have a 75 Gallon and are wanting to do a low tech setup. We currently have a T-12 40 W and a t-5 28 W strip. Both are single strip fixtures. What will we need for lighting using what we can of existing and adding what we need of new. We have seen in other posts people having algae problems with as little as 105W of T-5HO lighting. We do not want to inject CO2 and do not want to have algae problems. Can anyone give us some guidance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Algae can grow depending on how bright your light is, and how many hours/day they are turned on.
My 2 15 watt lights on my 75 gallon are on for about five hours in the evening, and my Anubias seems to grow very well.
No algae problem noted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments! Please respond to whether or not I can utilize any or all of what I have in a low tech set up.

lauraleellbp: This is about where I had settled before I decided post here. I was hoping I would not have to spend that much for new lights. we are trying to do this on a budget.

ron521: So are you growing any other plants and if so how are they doing. 2 15W fixtures does not seem like much light. Do you have much natural light?

We are trying to retrofit this low-tech SA tank on a budget so if I can use the lights I have, that would be great. allows more money on canister filter, plants, and substrate, well and eventually fish. :biggrin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have a 75 gallon low tech set up. i went with the aquatic life 2x54 t5HO fixture. it comes with legs i also use my glass tops. at first i had a little algae but i dosed excel for 2 weeks and it all went away. Now im not dosing excel and got some algae eating fish and everything has been great. watch for the sun shining on your tank as well 2 hours is ok.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What you have will be fine. Less light is where you want to be as a beginner anyway. There are great plants you can have with that amount. With the two single fixtures you can spread them out to get light coverage front to back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.