The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
You'll have to watch the bettas, the females especially, as they may tear up the male. Especially if they're wanting to mate but he doesn't get the idea...lol...I've actually had females kill males because of that. But they should be ok in that size tank, if it's heavily planted.

Cover it really well too so the hatchets don't jump, they're bad about that. Otherwise sounds ok to me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and the tank is heavily planted. I currently have a glass top but plan on getting some of that bird netting [to keep birds out of gardens] and put that on top of the tank instead of the glass tops.

would two males be better. Obviously they would flare at each other. But there is so many distractions and the females would have another to chase as well.

could I add another school of fish [small tetra/rasbora]? or would that be cutting it?

·
Registered
423 Posts
what happened to your SA theme?

negative on 2 male bettas. I believe they will not stop going after one another until the weaker one is dead.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to go for a NPT [Diane Walstad] tank to save on electricity. And since you have to pack it full of plants. I don't know I just kind of lost the SA theme somewhere.

4 female bettas
10 hatchet fish
30 rummy nose tetras
4 german blue rams 2m/2f
10 bronze cory cats
5 otos

Okay so Im just going to skip the male betta all together.

I doubt it but would One discus work in this tank? I just decided to ask as there is a person on the Minnesota Fish Keeper site that is selling Discus [full grown] for $25 as

"These fish don't meet my criteria for breeding. They're going to max out at less than 6" or have less than perfect eye shape, not perfectly round, etc. Otherwise, they're healthy and great for people who want to try discus for the first time."

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I dunno boutb the hatchets, a lot of times they will only take live food. I'm sure you can get them onto flake diet, but it may be a pain. Prepare for the worst. I would get a few discus, not just one. They look better in a group.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like the stocking minus the female bettas. Do you already have them or just on your mind? The RN tetras should be plenty of action. And 2 pairs of rams should be interesting. They're quite interactive with other tank inhabitants and mine will often come out to greet me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have live food and plan on feeding them live. I should have mentioned that. The female bettas are loving the wingless fruit flies. I also plan on raising vinegar eels, Confused Flour beetles, blackworms, Walter/micro/banana worms,. I just got my cultures this week all but the flies and black worms came in a pack off of aquabid.

And I do currently have the female bettas and the corys. But That's all so far I plan on adding the otos next week and maybe start adding the rummy's

4 female bettas
10 hatchet fish
30 rummy nose tetras
4 german blue rams 2m/2f
10 bronze cory cats
5 otos
2 discus

Would that be pushing it?? I think im now going into dream land

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
definately not the keyhole, they can get a little nasty...and its a real shot in the dark with the bolivian, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... I think you would be better off with just germans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.