The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I decided to switch out the substrate on my tank to black rather then the white/tan sand I had in there for the last year or so. Took me about an hour to do and even left the fish right in there while doing it.

Here is the tank the way it was before today -

Here it is after I switch out the sand and rearranged/removed some stuff -

I am running an Eheim Pro 3 2075 canister on it, along with an Aqua Clear 110. I just order a paintball co2 system from Jagged and picked up a 20oz co2 bottle today as well as getting it filled right away. Cant wait for that to arrive so I can get it going. For lighting I am running the 48" CoralLife T5 HO lighting with 1 - 10,000k and 1 - 6700k bulb for a total of 108 watts (54w per bulb).

For plants I have Argentine Swords, couple Jungle Vals, and some Hornwort. I plan on adding some more upon further research on what would be a good fit for my tank, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For fish I have Black Congo Calvus, Cyprichromis Leptosoma "Kerenge Island", Julidochromis Regani, and a TON of Neolamprologus Multifaciatus that will not stop breeding! Thinking of adding either some Synodontis cats or some Tang Gobies to the tank as well some day but not entirely sure yet.

I am open to all suggestions and comments since this is my first tank with any live plants in it I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed!!!

~Ben :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I like the 'new' look.
Definitely a huge flip swapping the sub on how the presentation changed, is it what you wanted/hoped for?

When you add the gas hold on because the plants will really come alive.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot! I really do like the new look way better. Before it was just getting out of hand and the Hornwort was taking over (man does that stuff grow!!)

I am really excited to get that gas going in there to see how it will turn out. I am thinking the hornwort will be taking over too fast with the gas so might be getting rid of that and will have to pick out some new plants. I have no idea what plants would be a good fit in there so if anyone has any suggestions and any tips on how to grow/care for them would be great.

A quick question, once I get the gas going in there will I HAVE to dose ferts in there? Or will the plants still do fine but just not reach their full potential? If I do have to or should dose I think the dry ferts is the route I would take so any suggestion on what ones would be a good start or how to find out what ones I would need would be great. I do 50% WC weekly now so Id say that EI would be the way to go for me since it seems the easiest, but am just confused on what ones I should be dosing if they are needed at all.

Thanks in advance, and must say this is quite the forum going here. I have been reading for a couple weeks and have touch the tip of it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
CO2 Limited now but the ferts will fall behind with your changes.
Drop checker being added?
Hoppy has some really great sticky threads in the lighting, fertilizers and water parameter sections.

Starting out new to this stuff I recommend another site for basic fert introduction.
Rex Grigg's website is a little dated (mainly lighting) but the fert information is valid and his presentation style suites me.
Without spending a dime or having to search topic by topic the best place to get the basics is on Rex Grigg's site. http://www.rexgrigg.com/
Fantastic people here on the TPT and very helpful do not misunderstand my posting this. This is my favorite site on the web. But when learning or needing advice too many voices can create fog. Topic by topic with enough detail Rex explains all the aspects step by step. Your foundation will be solid after reading through his site then log in here and bang the membership with detailed questions. Save yourself some time really by gaining the fundamentals reading a formatted how to guide written by a hobbyist.

Rex is off grid at the moment so don't order anything from his site store without current contact being made first. FYI He was one big time poster here for a long time and one of the first regarding dry fert use. The information provided on his site is rock solid. Really a well put together starting point on planted tank keeping.

I refuse to think bad things about Rex just some kind of really bad voodoo has him off the grid so remember do not use the site fert store without direct contact first!
GLA is a site sponsor with a VG rep. I've been buying from Orlando (GLA) since Rex fell off the planet. There are a couple of other fert suppliers but GLA is quick to ship and all of them are within pennies on price.
Dime one way on NO3 and a dime the other on K2SO4 so it's a wash really.
Also sells dosing bottles you might like too with 5, 15, 30ml marks on the dosing chambers.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts