The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I should really put this here. This is my farm tank. Its kinda junky. There won't be lots of pics of this set up metamorphosing into a beautiful aquascape. Its just a farm. Hopefully the aquascape pics are coming soon when I can get a light rebuilt and find some hardscape for my 58.

Until then I thought I would post this. I answer a question or offer advice here and there, and I wanted to show that I can actually grow plants and not just say I do. My aquascaping abilities haven't been tested much yet. :hihi:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice tank! You should post a plant list. :)
haha.. that would take forever, and I don't even know what some of them are. :icon_lol:

By the way, is that Rotala ramosior in the far right corner?
If you mean the back corner, I don't remember the name. A friend brought it back from Tropica, and said I was the first person to get some. I'll ask what it was. This was back in November, so everyone probably has it by now. Gets really big. Stays bright green. Easy to grow, but awful to ship.

Ben

·
Registered
627 Posts
Your "ugly" farm tank is much better than my display!

What are the specs?
Lighting, filtration, co2, substrate, stocking, light schedule, wc schedule?

How much work does it take to run a successful farm tank? Sell the plants?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ugh! :icon_lol: OK, I'll work on a plant list. I'll have to take the notebook to the basement and sit in front of the tank and try to figure out what all is in it. Probably this weekend.

Thanks for the compliments!

Tank Parameters:

I have super soft water. KH out of the tap is about 0.5, and I raise it to around 3. GH is low too, and I add 5 tsp CaCl2 and 3 tsp MgSo4 when I do an 80% water change. Sometimes I forget and do that backwards. The plants do just as good. I also add 1 tsp KNO3, 1/4tsp KH2PO4, and about 15ml of Flourish or Tropica Master Grow.

Then daily I add 5-10ml trace (TMG or Flourish), and three times a week I add 1 tsp MgSo4, slightly less than 1/4th tsp KH2PO4, and 3/4ths tsp KNO3

I have a little blue/green spot algae, but other than that nothing.

Substrate: Flourite Black
Light: Tek 54wt x 4 bulb with 3 Gieselman Daylight bulbs, and 1 Gieselman something that is a little more red.... Aquaflora? Light is about a foot above the water. One of the best light set ups I've ever had, and I've been doing this a looooong time.
Filter: Eheim 2126 (I think) Has the heater in it
CO2 is JBJ regulator/solenoid/needle valve combination going into one of THESE things which is plumbed into the intake side of my filter. I had it in the output, but the bubbles didn't have time to dissolve. It put a big cloud in the top layer of my water.
Fish by Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

I think that's all. Thanks again for your compliments. :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts