The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this tank has been sitting empty for almost a year. Re-sealed the tank, fixed the cabinet (still have to put on the doors), and finally plumbed the overflow to an FX5 canister filter. Purchased my wood and stone from Mrbluepanda from here and using black diamond blasting sand. I have a HI output 4 lamp T5 lamp with a Rosetta plant grow (2) light and a 6500K lamp (2). I only run 1 of each at a time so only 2 lamps are on at any given time. Going to go with easy plants for now, no CO2, just add my ferts to the water column and use root tabs. Right now I'm waterlogging the wood and getting the sand filtered out stirring everything around every few hours. After a week or so I will drain it and refill and start planting. Wish me luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well after 4 days the FX5 shut down. Cleaned everything and put it back together only for it to run 2 minutes and shut down again. So new FX6 will be in tomorrow with 2 powerheads as the flow on the right side of the tank is a little low. Luckily no fish or plants were in yet. FX5 was bought used, unknown condition so it happens.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I think the stones on the wood looks cool. Mix in some anubias and bucephalandra and it would look killer. I'm curious as to how you are using the overflow to a cannister. Wouldnt it cause it to run dry at times?? Why not just use the sump with a return pump if it's drilled? I really am struggling to understand the sump and overflow systems so excuse my ignorence. What are you planning to stock?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truthfully I just wanted to do something different from a normal sump. It could run dry, but it would take a little time. I've gone 4 days without adding water and it was still half full. So I figure 6-8 days before I have issues.

I really haven't thought of my stocking plans yet. Definitely easy low light plants. I keep looking and trying to get ideas. Some sort of jungle I'm sure.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little update. Got the wood to sink and all the rock in the tank. Replaced the FX5 with the new FX6 and water has cleared and everything has leveled out. Getting ready to place some SAE, cory's and a coupe other fish in until plant selection is finalized and on the way. So pics are as of today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Is the fx6 pulling from the bulkhead open at the bottom of the tank, or from the white PVC overflow? As in, which is the supply and which is return? If it's the white PVC how are you preventing it from running dry?

You might be interested in the setup on my 120 gallon. It's a corner overflow tank, but I took out the overflow components and just used the bulkheads to supply 3 Eheim classics. I ran some PVC beneath my substrate so I have a supply port on both sides of my tank, and my return is a substrate level spray bar (I also added a loc line nozzle return for one of the Eheims to ensure good turnover).

Anyway, I've been very happy with it, especially since it helps minimize the equipment in my tank. You're half way there already, so it's be cheap and easy to do, and you might really enjoy it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PVC is the return. The intake is at the bottom of the overflow. It has a strainer just like on the end of a filter. It takes a few days before the water level gets low. I've been considering an automatic top off system since it backs up to a bathroom and I can just tap the water line there. I'll take a look at your tank. I'm always open to ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got it all planted. Here is my plant list and pics.

Anubias, Coffeefolia , Anubias, Frazeri, Aponogeton, longiplumulosus, Aponogeton, Undulatas, Cryptocoryne Balansae, Cryptocoryne blasii, Dwarf Lily, Hydrocotyle tripartita "Japan", Hygrophila Pinnatifida, Java Fern, Leptodictyum ripraium, Dwarf Sagittaria subulata, Amazon Compacta, Flame Moss, and Dark Red Jungle Val.
Using Tom Barr's dosing regiment for CO2 free tanks and Oscomote+ capsules in the Black Diamond sand.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well 5 weeks from planting and this is the jungle as of today. There are about 55 nerite snails in there, 5 german blue rams, 25 neon tetras, 15 serpae tetras, 3 fiddler crabs, some corys and true SAE's. I dose dry ferts 3 times weekly (per Tom Barr's non CO2 tank guidelines) and use root tabs. Everything is doing great!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.