The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentely picked up a 75g (48Lx24Hx16W) for a steal and now I can't seem to figure what to do with it. I've had a few solid ideas, but my issue is with the dimensions of the tank. Being only 16 inches wide it will be hard to create a sense of depth in this tank. My first (and most favoured) idea is a forest style layout like this:

This is what I would most like to do. But this type of layout would be more suited to something like a 40b or a 90g thats 18H and 24W.

I also like this tank as inspiration:

But it would be more difficult on account of the tank being so tall aswell.

I like the simplicity of those two tanks, and others similar to it. Anyone have any ideas to help me out?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid 100$ from a guy on craigslist, who turned out to live pretty much next door to me lol.

Its a hagen brand tank, but I can't find the tank online to compare sizes too. I haven't seen another tank of these dimensions on there website. I would assume its considered a 75. When I type these external dimensions into a aquarium calculator i get 79.5 or so gallons.

The 24" in height would be fine if I had some depth as well. If the tank was 24" high, but 20" - 24" in depth than I can see lots of opportunity for scaping.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, you probably wouldnt see a tank 24" deep. Im just speaking hypothetically.

Im not really looking for "easy", im just wondering what kind of things I could think about when it comes to scaping a tank like this one.

I was thinking to get something like the first picture, I could back my substrate high up to the back of the tank. Probably use a HC carpet, with something nice and tall across the back. I'm not sure how to go about doing the tree trunks, since bark usualy isn't a great idea in the aquarium. Or at least, as far as i've heard it isn't.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah, bark in tanks tends to be for a short-term tank, but I have heard something to the effect of treating it with hydrogen peroxide (?) as a preservative to help it stick around for some time. There's always making your own 'trees', like HX67 does.

Also, in the first picture, they have a mirror as a background to help create depth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, bark in tanks tends to be for a short-term tank, but I have heard something to the effect of treating it with hydrogen peroxide (?) as a preservative to help it stick around for some time. There's always making your own 'trees', like HX67 does.

Also, in the first picture, they have a mirror as a background to help create depth.
Im a DIY kinda guy, but I dont know if I could make my own trees look at all good lol. Ill keep looking around for more ideas.

That mirror thing is a great idea.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My new tank is pretty boxy as well having the dimensions of: 4'L x 2'D x 21"H (105g). The tank in the first pic is AWESOME!! I am going for the "wooded" look as well, only my tank will go from woods to a sandy beach area lined with Downoi. Kinda like this, I hope:

I was messin with paint a little bit. There are better pics, and descriptions and things in my signature if you're interested. Still need to get the wood, a carpeting plant and some Downoi, and my sand and it'll be done.

Oh yeah, no need to mimic the bark of trees. Just go out for a walk and collect some. The piece I keep in my tank came that way, and the bark on it is real!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats cool, i've always been weary about putting bark in the aquarium.

But, I did find some other posts on line supporting that it can work. Suggestions were that it should be soaked in a mild bleach solution over nice, then boiled, dryed.. yada yada yada.

I'll probably set up my old 10g tank, run some cheap fish and some sticks with bark on them for a few weeks or months and see how that goes before I start it on a larger scale.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I soaked my wood for 3 weeks in my kids' pool. I just did weekly w.c's using my old tank water. When I was ready for it, it was too big to boil so I used a scrub brush and scrubbed the piece under hot water and threw it in the tank. Never had a single fish die from it, although, there are some woods that you should not put into your tank. As long as you can discern between differences to avoid collecting them, whatever you pick should do well as a centerpiece in your tank. There are TONS of recommended readings by searching Internet Explorer for: "wood not to be used in an aquarium." Good luck.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've learned what woods to and not to use over the years. Its only the bark that concerns me. But with a little research and some help from this and other forums (with alot of conflicting replies I might add though lol) it seems that the only way I can be sure is to try it out.

Im going to save this "forest" aquascape for another tank though. I would like to get a 30 gallon euro tank and do it in one of those. Ill set the whole thing up without fish for a while and see how the bark and wood react in the water. If it works out for a bit, then ill start adding fish and plants.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I really like your first inspiration and had a good time hunting down information on it. Have you seen this link with the dimensions and plant list? 60"longx20"deepx24" tall.
http://www.blueaquarium.org/2011/05/iaplc-2010-ada-contest-2010-world-ranking-no-1-27/
And here is an analysis of the design.
http://www.scapefu.com/2011/08/08/analysis-of-2010-iaplc-winner/

I am not sure mirrors were used but the lighting of the photograph seems quite important.

And this is one of my favorite wood land themed tanks from this year.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/5280-shiratani-ravine-adist-iaplc-2011-29-a.html. Perhaps you can see how the diameter and structure of the wood enhanced the effect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.