The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused....

Could someone please advise me on how much lighting I need on a 75 gallon tank 48X18X18. I would like to keep about anything. I am use to coral setups so all help would be appreciated.

Mebigloser

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I kinda wanted it to be a general question.

I have all kinds of lighting available from my saltwater setups and was looking for a simple answer for amount of wattage and stuff like that...

I have the tank running...just letting it get chemistry settled before touching it...

1. topsoil base mixed with vermiculite.
2. gravel topped.
3. probably way to much filteration..lol

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You probably have a 4 tube T5HO fixture available, being from the reef world, so I would use 6700K and 10,000K, or 8000K-8800K bulbs in it, hang it above the tank maybe a foot above the top of the tank to start with. That gives you great uniformity of lighting, the ability to raise and lower the light to adjust the intensity, and an open topped tank for easy maintenance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A 4ft 4 tube T5HO is all the light you would ever need. You could even use 2 tubes for a while until your plants fill the tank in, and use all for for short periods of time (ie 2 hours our of a total 8 hour photoperiod).
It will almost certainly be too much light to avoid lots of algae problems, unless you suspend it above the tank as I suggested. Four tube lights like that are normally made for use on reef tanks. But, when you do suspend it above the tank, a foot or so above the tank, you really get uniform lighting, along with some spill over, of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My 4 tube lighting is VHO 440 watts....

I am guessing overkill by what you guys are saying....

or I could use a 250 watt metal halide or 500 watts....:icon_frow

So what do you guys suggest....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same tank, same dims, and I'm only using 2 of my 4bulb T5 w/ so far good results.
I've had to retrain my thinking from reefs as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...

I have decided to go with my metal halides, how far off the tank should I hang them....

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would use the a solo 250 MH lamp, if that's what you're choosing to use and raise it at the minimum, a foot from the surface for decent spread.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
You could suspend them a bit higher than a foot (if you have the ability) and slowly work it down. Its really a hit or miss thing. There are so many variables once you get into extreme lighting like this.

You are most certainly going to need pressurized CO2. i see you are using some type of topsoil? Is this a mineralized base?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You've got quite a few plants down in the substrate that shouldn't be- the Anubias and Java ferns need their rhizomes exposed (the thick green stem that the leaves and white roots grow out of). These 2 actually would be easier to tie on to some rocks or your driftwood.

It also looks like you may have some non-aquatic plants in there?

And the plants that are all bunched up will fill in better if separated out more. When light is blocked on leaves they tend to die and fall off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts