The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anybody have a good idea of what a 75G and Stand would run. Ive found one in the paper for 325. Obviously I haven't laid eyes on it yet. Just curious on opinion.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
390 Posts
I only paid $50 for my 75. It was used and it was just the tank, no stand....

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I've seen them new for $100. When on sale, they can be as low as $75. Used, even cheaper. Unless it's an exceptionally nice stand (think ADA wood cabinet), or it came with a bunch of accessories, I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yea, just be patient. I just got a used (no stand) 75g for $75 on craigslist. I'd highly recommend checking that and the local newspapers.

·
Registered
941 Posts
i bought my 75 gallon tank new for $125.
i searched around for stands but found that they were more expensive than the tank itself. so i finally had the lfs order me a metal stand, that added about $70 to the price.

·
Registered
941 Posts
i got mine from a privately owned fish store. big name stores like to rip you off on new tanks and stands.
you can probably ask your lfs to order a tank for you if they dont carry them.
they should be more than willing to help if you let them know what you need. sometimes they can even get rare fish/plants. they have access to lots of distributors so it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
140 Posts
or it could be an oceanic 75g.

my lfs typically sells aga/perfecto 75g tanks for $125-140. occasionally they'll go on sale cheaper. the big "death merchants" often have $1/gallon sales.

you won't be out anything if you go and have a look.

tank stands can get expensive quickly. esp if you consider the quality of construction for most mfg stands. can you build your own?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I see 75 gallon tank, light, glass top, wooden stand (kind of cheap looking) for $300 all the time. So if you're buying a used one for $325 that's too much. HOWEVER if the stand is a very nice wooden one, then that's a good deal. Tanks are tanks, around $125 new but wooden stand range from $150 to $250.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
One good point to look at with cheap tanks is build quality... I rushed into setting up my 55 years ago and wish there was a 75 in it's place. :)

Don't be fooled. Mine is fine if you like wide glass cross brace with rough edges... This is way before I knew anything about ADA and Oceanic high standards. Mine is sort of an AGA clone with a crappy cross brace.

Stands are simple to build. If you need furniture quality for the looks it's gonna cost ya regardless.

If I didn't have a two year old to keep from the gear my home spun steel tank stand wouldn't have a skirt around it. Cost of the stand. Nothing. Just have friends with scrap steel and had the leveling feet from some PBX in my past. But a materials list couldn't be much for the steel from a yard.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
any other stuff with it? some people try and get retail for their used units. there is a 10g setup in your swap area that the guy wants a retail price. it wont happen. i generally see things for 50 cents on the dollar in my local paper.

·
Registered
302 Posts
acyrlic 75 gallon , stones, filters, powerheads, predrilled, two lights, hood , stand, nets, fluval 404 with extra inserts,nets, chemicals, treatments , food, everthing you can think of . I priced it in the store, 1,200. I got it on ebay two years old 400.00. So I do think 300 is a bit steep .:hihi:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.