The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time building a larger tank and I'm hoping for some stocking advise. Thank you in advance! I'm building a 75 gallon planted angel fish community tank. I'm planning on using a fluval 407 cannister filter. I'm thinking of stocking it with:

Scalare angel fish x 5
Zebra loach x 5
Sailfin Molly x 6 with 2 males and 4 females

Aq advisor says this is overstocked for my filter. Is this accurate? If so what filter would you recommend? Should I change my stocking options for a better fit? I'm also still considering what plants I want to stock with so feel free to suggest any! Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Mollies do better in hardwater- I've kept them in brackish and saltwater. Angels are more soft to neutral, depending on the husbandry/ tank raising. I don't know of anyone who has kept angels and mollies together but I'd be interested if anyone here has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mollies do better in hardwater- I've kept them in brackish and saltwater. Angels are more soft to neutral, depending on the husbandry/ tank raising. I don't know of anyone who has kept angels and mollies together but I'd be interested if anyone here has.
I found several articles that recommended me Molly's and they all say Molly's are hardy and will adapt to the softer water. Has this not been the case in your experience? I'm still new to the aquascaping scene so I do my best to research anything I stock before hand.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
I found several articles that recommended me Molly's and they all say Molly's are hardy and will adapt to the softer water. Has this not been the case in your experience? I'm still new to the aquascaping scene so I do my best to research anything I stock before hand.
Lots of fish can adapt. But in this hobby, it's best to keep fish that are best suited for your water instead of stressing livestock or unnecessarily pushing limits. Ideal parameter ranges are always better than forcing something to adapt.

If you're keeping Angels? You shouldn't try to keep Mollies with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of fish can adapt. But in this hobby, it's best to keep fish that are best suited for your water instead of stressing livestock or unnecessarily pushing limits. Ideal parameter ranges are always better than forcing something to adapt.

If you're keeping Angels? You shouldn't try to keep Mollies with them.
I see what you mean. Thank you for the advise! I'll keep looking into other options.

·
Premium Member
4 aquariums, all planted.
60 Posts
This is my first time building a larger tank and I'm hoping for some stocking advise. Thank you in advance! I'm building a 75 gallon planted angel fish community tank. I'm planning on using a fluval 407 cannister filter. I'm thinking of stocking it with:

Scalare angel fish x 5
Zebra loach x 5
Sailfin Molly x 6 with 2 males and 4 females

Aq advisor says this is overstocked for my filter. Is this accurate? If so what filter would you recommend? Should I change my stocking options for a better fit? I'm also still considering what plants I want to stock with so feel free to suggest any! Thank you all for your help!
I don't rely on Ag advisor. However, I run two filters on larger tanks for the extra flow and extra media, I started that practice with my discus tanks. The Fluval 407 is a good filter. 5 angels will be nice in that tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't rely on Ag advisor. However, I run two filters on larger tanks for the extra flow and extra media, I started that practice with my discus tanks. The Fluval 407 is a good filter. 5 angels will be nice in that tank.
So do you think I should use 1 fluval 407 or get 2 of a smaller version like a 406 or 405? Which has worked better for you?

·
Registered
791 Posts
5 angels is probably going to end in disaster. Once they mature plan on reducing them to two - probably a mater pair. Zebra loaches are fantastic - i'd recommend going with 10.
-
I'm not really a purist - with tank bred fishes i see no problem keeping live bearers with angels (I used to keep a few swordtails with mine). Having said that i've never liked mollies so i wouldn't recommend them ;)
-
Btw the game changes with wild fishes. If these were wild angels they would demand soft extremely clean water and mollies just are not going to fit. Btw even with tank bred fishes don't add salt with angels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5 angels is probably going to end in disaster. Once they mature plan on reducing them to two - probably a mater pair. Zebra loaches are fantastic - i'd recommend going with 10.
-
I'm not really a purist - with tank bred fishes i see no problem keeping live bearers with angels (I used to keep a few swordtails with mine). Having said that i've never liked mollies so i wouldn't recommend them ;)
-
Btw the game changes with wild fishes. If these were wild angels they would demand soft extremely clean water and mollies just are not going to fit. Btw even with tank bred fishes don't add salt with angels.
I wasn't planning to get anything wild caught as I've heard they come with their own set of issues. I like the idea of having a single mated pair as a center fish surrounded by smaller fish. I was debating for awhile between mollies and sword tails actually. Is it better to start with the 5 juveniles then rehome 3 of them once I have a mated pair or if I just get a male and female juvenile will they just pair off? Thank you so much for the suggestions!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes start with 5 juvi. They might bicker a little to establish a pecking order (sometimes they don't) but they will mostly get along. However when they mature two will likely pair up. You might end up with two pairs but the tank isn't really large enough to support two pairs. I have to say I'm describing my experience but the fishes are unpredictable and what actually happens in the end depends on the individual fishes. They can be quite passive to quite aggressive - just luck of the draw. I also have to say a breeding pair can again be quite passive to quite aggressive during breeding. I have had pairs that want an area 2ftx2ft around the egg clear of other fishes to my current set which are quite content with 6inchx6inch. This isn't totally by accident as i had to run through several sets to find a more passive pair.

I wasn't planning to get anything wild caught as I've heard they come with their own set of issues. I like the idea of having a single mated pair as a center fish surrounded by smaller fish. I was debating for awhile between mollies and sword tails actually. Is it better to start with the 5 juveniles then rehome 3 of them once I have a mated pair or if I just get a male and female juvenile will they just pair off? Thank you so much for the suggestions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes start with 5 juvi. They might bicker a little to establish a pecking order (sometimes they don't) but they will mostly get along. However when they mature two will likely pair up. You might end up with two pairs but the tank isn't really large enough to support two pairs. I have to say I'm describing my experience but the fishes are unpredictable and what actually happens in the end depends on the individual fishes. They can be quite passive to quite aggressive - just luck of the draw. I also have to say a breeding pair can again be quite passive to quite aggressive during breeding. I have had pairs that want an area 2ftx2ft around the egg clear of other fishes to my current set which are quite content with 6inchx6inch. This isn't totally by accident as i had to run through several sets to find a more passive pair.
I think I'll do that and stick with the more passive of the pairs if I get 2. Is it generally better to have more females since I'm gonna have an uneven number or does it not really matter? Thank you for sharing your experience with a newbie 😊

·
Registered
791 Posts
Angels that are small are virtually impossible to sex. I suppose if you got 5 females they might all get along - other than that i'm not sure it matter. If your shop claims they can sex quarter size angels go look for another shop as they are being dishonest.

I think I'll do that and stick with the more passive of the pairs if I get 2. Is it generally better to have more females since I'm gonna have an uneven number or does it not really matter? Thank you for sharing your experience with a newbie 😊

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Its common to get a group of Angels in higher density as juveniles and then get rid of excess after a couple pair off. You would be fine with 2 pair in a 75 with proper boundary markers in aquarium.
I would put the sailfish mollies in a more brackish environment than what angels require. While people have kept them in softer water, they do not exhibit their full natural behaviors ( namely, breeding) in softer water. It is also believed that long -term, softer water shortens life-span.
Larger - deeper bodied tetras like Bleeding Heart tetras make great companion schoolers with angels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its common to get a group of Angels in higher density as juveniles and then get rid of excess after a couple pair off. You would be fine with 2 pair in a 75 with proper boundary markers in aquarium.
I would put the sailfish mollies in a more brackish environment than what angels require. While people have kept them in softer water, they do not exhibit their full natural behaviors ( namely, breeding) in softer water. It is also believed that long -term, softer water shortens life-span.
Larger - deeper bodied tetras like Bleeding Heart tetras make great companion schoolers with angels.
Thats good to know I was wanting some kind of live bearers that's why I was going eith mollies but based on all of your replies that doesn't seem like it's gonna work. Are there any soft water live bearers I could go with? I've been having a hard time finding any in my research.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This tank has a lot of problems supporting the pairs:

It is hard to see but behind the swords in the back there are spaces the pairs can hang out. Still the conflicts are frequent esp at feeding time as those that dislike each other seem to have long memories and frequent blind side hits occur while feeding. I'd be weary of keeping 2 pairs in a 75; still it doesn't harm to attempt such but it really comes down to individual fishes. The gold pair are actually passive but that male has become more or less the alpha (even though it is the off spring of the black male in the shadows (extreme left - barely visible). In this tank there are three loyal pairs (the original platinum female and black male and the 6 off springs - 2 pairs and 2 extra males - one of the females in a pair is actually the original mate of the black male in shadow and not an off spring). To get even this unstable arrangement i had to remove 2 very large gold males and a black female. In this current arrangement the original pair was displace from the left side and kicked to the back right hand corner the two single male are actually pretty passive and the male of the black pair is hyper aggressive.

·
Registered
791 Posts
120; three stable pairs have formed. yes it is too many but they will have to live with it until i move and they get a new home that is a 450. The gold pair (which are off springs of the platinum/black) are now alpha 'cept the platinum female which sometimes go on a terror - nothing worse than a mad female. Oddly she doesn't go on a terror when breeding just when she wants to pick a fight with someone. 5 of the eight are off springs.

@jake21 Looks like you have a lot of adult pairs in here. Too many for tank size.
Is this a 75? How many pairs in here?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.