The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about lighting. I have a 70 gallon hagen osaka tank and i have a T5 light come with 4 tube of 10K. Do you think is too much, not enough or should i change 2 of 4 tube to 6700k?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The color temperature of the bulbs is of no importance beyond making the tank look like you want it to. If the T5 light is T5HO it probably is more light than necessary for a standard 70 gallon tank. Is that tank a bow front tank, about 25 inches high? If so, it will definitely have more light than the plants need. Just 2 tubes would give high light intensity directly under the bulbs.

If you want to use the 4 tube light, raise it about 8 inches above the top of the tank. That reduces the intensity, makes the intensity more uniform both front to back and top to bottom, and makes routine maintenance a lot easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The color temperature of the bulbs is of no importance beyond making the tank look like you want it to. If the T5 light is T5HO it probably is more light than necessary for a standard 70 gallon tank. Is that tank a bow front tank, about 25 inches high? If so, it will definitely have more light than the plants need. Just 2 tubes would give high light intensity directly under the bulbs.

If you want to use the 4 tube light, raise it about 8 inches above the top of the tank. That reduces the intensity, makes the intensity more uniform both front to back and top to bottom, and makes routine maintenance a lot easier.
The front of the tank doesn't have bow, but is 25" high. Only in front corner of the tank are round. I only raised up 4.5".

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Is it a T5 high output fixture? They will be 54W each (4 feet long) if they're high output. Regular normal output T5 bulbs (4 feet) are 28W each.

It's probably T5HO, most aquarium fixtures are. It is plenty of light, you should be using CO2 or less bulbs.

nice discus, BTW.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is it a T5 high output fixture? They will be 54W each (4 feet long) if they're high output. Regular normal output T5 bulbs (4 feet) are 28W each.

It's probably T5HO, most aquarium fixtures are. It is plenty of light, you should be using CO2 or less bulbs.

nice discus, BTW.
Yes, 54Wx3 T5HO.....the fixture is awesome, and by adding the extra switch, you can use just 2 bulbs or all three.....what I have on my 75 gallon which is a shell dweller/tangy tank planted w/java fern and anubias in tank and rip emersed plants on top. I'm dosing EI AND Excel daily with weekly 50% WC's. Between the submersed and emersed plants and Excel, my algae problems on the whales eye shells is disappearing. Two lights are on 10 hours a day with a 3 hour "burst" mid day. I know it's a lot of light, but it's def working for me. AND it's a Catalina lighting fixture, they are light so easy to hang, very well made, cheap for what your getting, and from my experience, have great customer service. I can't recommend these lights enough.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes, 54Wx3 T5HO.....the fixture is awesome, and by adding the extra switch, you can use just 2 bulbs or all three.....what I have on my 75 gallon which is a shell dweller/tangy tank planted w/java fern and anubias in tank and rip emersed plants on top. I'm dosing EI AND Excel daily with weekly 50% WC's. Between the submersed and emersed plants and Excel, my algae problems on the whales eye shells is disappearing. Two lights are on 10 hours a day with a 3 hour "burst" mid day. I know it's a lot of light, but it's def working for me. AND it's a Catalina lighting fixture, they are light so easy to hang, very well made, cheap for what your getting, and from my experience, have great customer service. I can't recommend these lights enough.
??? how is my post relevant to any of this
lol

I have the 3x54W Catalina fixture, and its great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.