The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post, first thread and a brand new member here! I have a main tank that is 75 gallons, it has five comet goldfish in it, one was newly introduced last night with three hornwort bunches. There is remnants of an amazon sword that the goldfish picked clean for the most part. From what I have read on these forums before I became a member a few minutes ago, I figured that hornwort was worth risking since people have said that it depends on the personality of the fish.

It's sparsely decorated for the moment with a single "wall" decoration that I've set sideways to make a decent cave for the fish in the center. Leaving it this way for now in hopes of bringing further plants on board. I should also mention that algae has started to grow on the aquarium glass and there's a single Ram's horn snail, several generations down from the one that I originally pulled out of the creek, but the majority of them were killed when I experimented by putting my red claws in the tank, including the original snail. :/

It's relatively low-tech, an aqueon filter that's rated up to 90 gallons, and an LED light bar that has red and white for day and blue for night. It's not timed or anything but I do try to turn to night light consistently around 11pm.

I'm making this particular thread because I want to see if there is any advice on the tank. As I said I'd like to introduce more plants, as for snails, I don't see them as a pest obviously I just didn't realize how scrappy my crab was, I'd much rather have a population boom of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ferns & anubias are the only plants you can introduce without the fish eating them.

Don't add more Goldfish. You're pretty much past the limit.
I'm aware of the fish situation, I'm trying to figure out how to consolidate myself down to two of them. I have a pond in the back yard about 200 gallons, a 20 gallon with a fancy in it and a 10 that has a bristlenose and my crab. Three of the comets are still small no more than the length of a pinky.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Goldfish get huge, and comets need a lot of space because they are very active compared to the fancy varieties. They're really more pond fish than aquarium fish.

I agree with mistergreen. You already have too many fish in the tank. I'd do maybe 3 in a tank that size, considering how large they will eventually get.

And plants and goldfish generally don't mix. You won't have a beautiful underwater garden with goldfish. What they did to your sword they'll do to just about any plant. Plus they get big and like rooting around, so they'll dig up what they don't eat.

As mistergreen said, tough, slow growing plants like java fern and anubias could work; they should be tied to rocks or driftwood, not planted in the substrate.

You could also go with fast-growing plants like hornwort, and hope they grow faster than your fish eat them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had success keeping fancy goldfish with buces, anubias, swords, Java ferns, banana plants, and crypts. My tank is bare bottomed with a bunch of planted pots. I've found the key to keeping the plants planted is to circle larger stones around the base of the plants so they're weighed down and the fish can't really get in there to yank them up. I tried stem plants as an experiment and my fish constantly ripped them out. They didn't eat them, just had fun ruining them for me :( so I replanted the remaining scrawny bits in my tropical tank and the plants are much happier. You can still have a pretty heavily planted tank with some variety (especially from the crypts) coexisting with goldfish.

I agree with other posters who mentioned you are way overstocked for comets in that tank. I agree with randym that 2-3 comets is max for 75 gallon. I've read suggestions that 40 gallons is needed for one full grown comet.

My goldfish are kept with mystery and nerite snails, and amano and neocaridina shrimp but I wouldn't suggest you add any more animals to your tank because they'll just produce more waste.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of who's in the tank right now. The snail is in there. Just adept at not being seen.

I want to thank you all for helping me out, but I have another question too. The smaller of these two fish the orange and black one "Hemi" is the one I raised from a feeder. The new addition is the large white and red one "Roush". Over the couple of days that Roush has been in the tank Hemi has been nosing the larger fish from below, right around where those back fins (where they poop, Idk the technical term). The research I have read about it has said that Hemi could be acting territorial, and just this morning I saw Roush doing it back and that's supposedly a sign of stress?

I'm wondering if what I found is correct in naming it stress and territorial behavior, and if it is, they're the only two fish in there, so am I doing anything else wrong?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.