The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 75gl is up and running and about half way planted and im trying to get fish stock list together. Im still new to the freshwater world so I don't really know all my options possibly. Here is my ideas so far, any input would be greatly appreciated

6 Candy cane tetra ( have these in another tank already so they do not have to be moved to this one)
4-6 congo tetra or 4-6 Denison Barb or both? to much?
10-15 Rumynose or neons or other small schooling fish?
6ish Corys?
1 Elephant nose ( i had one of these years ago and it was cool just not sure how it would do in this tank. Research seems to have mixed reviews)
Ottos or Plecos or some kind of algae eating fish

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
617 Posts
that size you can do some Siamese Algae Eaters. or a bunch of Ottos would be cool. if there's some logs in there one of the Bristlenose, longfin and the super reds are ones I have been looking at. Or a mix of that? You could also get a Rainbow Shark, maybe a red tail, i don't know as much about those, but with that many smaller fish a Rainbow Shark should mostly ignore them especially if it grows up in there. All of these fish I mentioned will help with clean up as well in various ways. Ottos and Siamese are probably the best for cleaning your plant leaves. If you have wood, like log type stuff not little pieces, I recommend a pleco. Rainbows are just cool and do general algae clean up and bottom tossing to keep things moving around. kinda like a giant Cory. lol. But only one pleco and only one Rainbow. the riskiest of these would be the Rainbow.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
My new 75gl is up and running and about half way planted and im trying to get fish stock list together. Im still new to the freshwater world so I don't really know all my options possibly. Here is my ideas so far, any input would be greatly appreciated

6 Candy cane tetra ( have these in another tank already so they do not have to be moved to this one)
4-6 congo tetra or 4-6 Denison Barb or both? to much?
10-15 Rumynose or neons or other small schooling fish?
6ish Corys?
1 Elephant nose ( i had one of these years ago and it was cool just not sure how it would do in this tank. Research seems to have mixed reviews)
Ottos or Plecos or some kind of algae eating fish
Elephant nose has specific needs in the aquarium that you must be able to satisfy if keep. Here is a bit from Seriously Fish about those requirements:

"This is a nocturnal fish, so dim lighting is required to make it feel secure. Plenty of cover should also be provided, particularly if you’re keeping a few together. Smooth rocks, driftwood and plants that can survive under low lighting, such as Anubias sp., java fern and Vallisneria can all be used. A sand substrate is absolutely critical to the well-being of this species, as it burrows into it with it’s proboscis-like lower lip. Sharp-edged or coarse substrates can damage the mouthparts of the fish and prevent it from feeding naturally."

The elephant nose also needs dim lighting and is scaleless so must be careful of medications, the use of salt in aquarium etc...

If can satisfy these requirements for the Elephant nose, then I really like the Congo tetras because they are also African fish. I also like the choice of Dennison barbs because they are active like the Congo tetras. On the bottom tier I would use other fish that are slow, not too active because they will irritate the elephant nose. Ottos or plecos are fine, corydoras wont work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'll skip the elephant nose since I definitely won't have dim lighting.
I am leaning towards the Congo tetras since my LFS has some nice ones right now.

Can't decide on the small schooling fish still. I really like the rummy nose but I'm just not sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a very colorful tank, I went Rainbows and Angels with Rams, Plecos, and albino cories for the bottom. Rainbows get VERY deep colors as they mature and become striking!

It is a matter of what size fish you like. You can pick several species of tetras and get lots of them or bigger fish (like Rainbows and Angels) but buy fewer. Keep smaller fish choices for bottom. My school of albino cories is my touch of very active smaller fish. It's fun to see the contrast against the larger slower swimming Angels and Rainbows swimming above. They are white and their color contrasts great with the Rainbows Turquoise, Red, and Orange.

Should mention that you buy Juvenile Angels so they grow up with the Rainbows. My tank has been very happy, calm... everyone gets along.

Good luck! Have so much fun!

3 Turquoise Rainbows
3 Red Rainbows
3 basmaini Rainbows
10 Albino Cories
6 German Blue Rams
1 bristlenose Pleco
1 Albino Pleco
4 Angels
5 Nerite Snails (non-producing snails - keep the glass perfectly!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
For a very colorful tank, I went Rainbows and Angels with Rams, Plecos, and albino cories for the bottom. Rainbows get VERY deep colors as they mature and become striking!

It is a matter of what size fish you like. You can pick several species of tetras and get lots of them or bigger fish (like Rainbows and Angels) but buy fewer. Keep smaller fish choices for bottom. My school of albino cories is my touch of very active smaller fish. It's fun to see the contrast against the larger slower swimming Angels and Rainbows swimming above. They are white and their color contrasts great with the Rainbows Turquoise, Red, and Orange.

Should mention that you buy Juvenile Angels so they grow up with the Rainbows. My tank has been very happy, calm... everyone gets along.

3 Turquoise Rainbows
3 Red Rainbows
3 basmaini Rainbows
10 Albino Cories
6 German Blue Rams
1 bristlenose Pleco
1 Albino Pleco
4 Angels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can Rainbows take temps above 80 degrees? Wow, I didnt know that. I know that German Rams wont last long below 80- I raise and breed them.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts

3 Turquoise Rainbows
3 Red Rainbows
3 basmaini Rainbows
10 Albino Cories
6 German Blue Rams
1 bristlenose Pleco
1 Albino Pleco
4 Angels
Just adding to this post, the angels are a great idea especially if add like he said, when they are juveniles. they will be more used to the other fish. I have a tank much like this but with smaller danios instead of the Rainbows. The angels I got were all young and they don't do anything to other species. I had larger gourami in there too and the angels didn't do anything to them. They chase a little but really only do anything serious injury-wise only to other angels and only during spawning.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I love Dennison's Barbs. Try and take a look at the albino yellow ones if you can. Same with Congo tetras. The albinos and longfin ones are both pretty cool. Do research on your plecos. A lot of planted tank people keep bristlenose plecos. Some of the species can get 2 foot long.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Do research on your plecos. A lot of planted tank people keep bristlenose plecos. Some of the species can get 2 foot long.
yeah, really just the variations of bristlenose plecos are the only ones that stay small(ish). Royals maybe as well but those are usually $50 or more just like the other plecos that stay small. But do your research, LFS said the Adonis Pleco only gets to 7 or 8 inches. 2-3 feet.... apparently this was a newer guy or something, took it back and got the manager, luckily, of the fish department at my favorite LFS and they took it back and got me squared away. Kinda bummed cause it was a beauty.

There are a lot of other ways to go than pleco too. A handful of cory will take care of the bottom and another handful of Otocinclus will take care of cleaning plants. Siamese Algae Eaters get to 6 inches but are active and if you get a couple full grown you shouldn't have anything to worry about. A couple Hillstream loaches (they prefer like 3+ and faster water) for the glass and broad leaves. Rabbit snails are cool and can take care of the ground and the smaller ones can do the glass a bit.

Of the bristlenose variety of pleco, I would look at super reds, longfin, and albinos. I got two babies for my 33 Long, both are longfin Bristlenose, but one is an albino version with blue eyes and the other is a normal longfin. I have a common pleco who is probably 9 inches long in my 75 gal and he's plateaued in growth... been about 6-8 months for it's last inch to be put on, though I think it's been growing wider in that time. We shall see.

But if you do a pleco, they are nocturnal. Mine come out 30-60 minutes before night feeding and do a little cruising. Usually just chilling but it can also be found on the branches I have or on the glass. When they are little they are more active because they are growing. They love wood. branches (used oak branches from my property, soaked for a total of about 2 weeks and cleaned. These were also predried for about a year from the season before.), driftwood, just get a good size piece or two, they will love it and you will almost always know where to find them for the first year of their life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info. I recently got 6 congo tetras and i am loving them!!! I tossed in 5 rummy nose i had in another tank and ill be adding like 10 more of those. I also added 6 ottos. Think ill do 3 denison barbs and maybe the candy cane tetras i have in another tank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.