The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon becoming available to me and I want to try my hand at a large planted aquarium. I have a small 14 gallon planted that has been up and running for 6 months, so I believe I have most of the basics down. I have also been keeping africans for many years now.

Filtration:
I have a fluval 304 as filtration for the aquarium right now. I want to add another filter. What is an inexpensive, reliable 2nd filter? I have many AC110s, and I like them, but how good at they for planted aquariums? Too much surface agitation?

Heater
I have a heater, but I would prefer to get it out of the aquarium and go inline. Can any inline heaters attach to the fluval ribbed tubing?

Lighting
I have an offer for a 4x65W JBJ PC fixture. One of the fans is quite noisy. Is there any way to replace it with a different one or disconnect it?

CO2
What size tank, regulator, solenoid and diffuser (what else?) would I need for this, provided I have that lighting system?

Substrate
I don't want to break the bank on this. What is a good, nutritious substrate for relatively little money?

That's pretty much it for now. Thanks.

Adam

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I

Filtration:
I have a fluval 304 as filtration for the aquarium right now. I want to add another filter. What is an inexpensive, reliable 2nd filter? I have many AC110s, and I like them, but how good at they for planted aquariums? Too much surface agitation?

Eheim 2213? =)

Heater
I have a heater, but I would prefer to get it out of the aquarium and go inline. Can any inline heaters attach to the fluval ribbed tubing?

Not sure. I have a Visi-Therm Stealth in my aquarium, if that helps any.

Lighting
I have an offer for a 4x65W JBJ PC fixture. One of the fans is quite noisy. Is there any way to replace it with a different one or disconnect it?

Yes, you can disconnect it. Just open it up and it'll be quite evident. Not sure what the dimensions of those fans are. You might be able to replace it with a PC fan.

CO2
What size tank, regulator, solenoid and diffuser (what else?) would I need for this, provided I have that lighting system?

The biggest size CO2 cylinder that still fits in the space you have for it. Any regulator: Azoo, JBJ, Milwaukee, etc...Rhinox 5000 for a tank that large, or a DIY in-line reactor.

Substrate
I don't want to break the bank on this. What is a good, nutritious substrate for relatively little money?

Uh....ADA AquaSoil? The price will be comparable to Eco-Complete. Flourite will be cheaper than either the ADA AS or EC. SMS is the cheapest, but not nutritious.
...I think that should give you a decent start...I hope. =)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

An eheim is a little out of my price range right now. Anything less expensive?

I'll see about opening up the casing if I get the light.

What is SMS?

And where can I buy these CO2 parts (except the tank...too heavy and I can get that here) that would ship to canada? Keeping in mind a budget.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
SMS = Soil Master Select

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rex:

Say I have a CO2 tank, 10lbs, and that's it.

Can you give me a list of exactly what I would require? The basics please. Quantity of each, size, model number, etc... It would only be used on the one 75 gallon and not split off to any other aquariums. I may upgrade to a 90G at some point, but for now let's work with a 75 gallon.

I think I will go with another fluval 304 as they are $100 CDN new, unless I can find a used larger canister. The XP3s here are quite pricey, believe it or not, somewhere around $230 CDN.

Adam

·
Registered
711 Posts
Rex:

Say I have a CO2 tank, 10lbs, and that's it.

Can you give me a list of exactly what I would require? The basics please. Quantity of each, size, model number, etc... It would only be used on the one 75 gallon and not split off to any other aquariums. I may upgrade to a 90G at some point, but for now let's work with a 75 gallon.

I think I will go with another fluval 304 as they are $100 CDN new, unless I can find a used larger canister. The XP3s here are quite pricey, believe it or not, somewhere around $230 CDN.

Adam
I bought an Eheim 2028 for $299.99 CDN.XP3 is around $150 if you look around.like on the price network site you can often find new xp3 for $125 to $150,the same with Fluval 404.
For mechanical filteration you could use a Magnum 350.
Below is the links to a couple of used filters:
PNAquaria Forums - FS-ehiem 2215 and fluval 404[/url]
PNAquaria Forums - Eheim 2215 filter for salePNAquaria Forums - FS-ehiem 2215 and fluval 404

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The minimum needed for CO2 injection is:

Regulator
Needle valve
Check valve
Tubing
Diffusion method.

Options include a solenoid if you want to use a timer or pH monitor to control the CO2 and a bubble counter if you want to visually see the bubble rate.

Prices for US shipment can be found at CO2 stuff for sale

·
Registered
754 Posts
If it means anything I've purchased an FX5 for a new 82 gallon custom I'm setting up. I've overdone it because I hate cleaning filters, intend on putting lots of things (everything) inline and liked the features of the FX5. I paid $250 CDN.

Also, I've done the Tek 4*54W T5 fixture to avoid heat.

CO2 wise I'm using the setup I'll use on my 83 gallon on my 135 and a 20 oz paintball bottle is lasting just over 1 month (depressing pH about 0.8 to 1.0) via an SMS122 controller and timer(off at night). The regulator is the blueline/milwaukee unit and its working just fine for me and I recommend it. However, if you don't intend on using a controller I'd consider Rex's regulator or upgrading the milwaukee needle valve.

Other than the C02 system none of this is setup, currently its a hardware collection. I'm still looking at substrate, do a search on Soilmaster on the site and you'll find the best economic/effectiveness compromise in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Man, that's cheap for an FX5. I have a friend who works for a Petstore here, and the cost + 10% was $189. Full retail was $349 CDN.

$200+ for an XP3 is unreasonable. $139 at Pets and Ponds

·
Registered
754 Posts
I can say (without using the FX5 yet) that there's no way I'd pay $190 for an XP3 again...I can't stand it! It can't seem to handle the mechanical load of a very low stock load in a 130 gallon.

FYI, retail in some shops is $400!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts