The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'd like to take the opportunity to post my experience with building my ADA copy stand.

The stand is now complete, but I have a few pics to share...

I'll add too that the sides, back and top are all double sheets of poplar plywood that are glued and screwed together for added strength.

I have to give credit to Jeff whose stand we built simultaneously. Without his assistance this would have been a daunting project to handle by myself. We've received word that our stands can withstand around the order of 3,400 pounds. With Jeff and I sitting on the stands, we couldn't get them to budge whatsoever...If he doesn't mind, i'll share a pic or two of his stand as well:

This is a mockup after all of the pieces were cut and the frame was put together. I wanted to get a feel for how the stand would look with the doors on:

Alignment was a bit off with the horizontal front brace and the top panels...but some wood filler would help with that.

This was the final product:

Overall, I am pleased with how it turned out. My next phase is setting up filtration and decorations. I am intending on doing an African Biotope setup for my apisto's...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks really good!! I'm jealous of all that space in there! Wood filler was my friend on my ADA style 60p stand too. I ended up with the double doors as well after a goof by me on cutting the laminate, but in the end I really like the double doors better...well, for a 75G that is kind of required, one door would open halfway across your room :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks really good!! I'm jealous of all that space in there! Wood filler was my friend on my ADA style 60p stand too. I ended up with the double doors as well after a goof by me on cutting the laminate, but in the end I really like the double doors better...well, for a 75G that is kind of required, one door would open halfway across your room :)
Yeah...we used something like 2.5 tubs of wood filler...and the idea being that we wanted pretty much sealed in the event of a leak.

You'll notice on my doors (on the inside) that I have a few extra holes where we started drilling for the hinges, but realized we were cutting on the wrong side of the door :( whoops! lol. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say!

My center brace is off center too so that I could fit my current 20 gallon tank down there. It's in my hopes to incorporate that into the filtration system. The bottom right side will house my 5lb CO2 system and regulator, hence why the top shelf is so high (it was a PITA to paint in there though).

If I were to redo this, I would attempt to paint BEFORE assembling just to prevent headache and to ensure a nice and even, run-free, coating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How much did it cost to build start to finish? Are you thinking of building and selling them?
I am currently mulling over the idea of building stands for people, but there are plenty of questions that need answering before jumping into it.

This stand cost me right about $750, with the bulk of costs being split between lumber & tools.

I'm really interested in what the demand would be for building stands for people. Obviously this route is 10 times better than going the store route (which from Jeff's experience is pretty poor). Those types of stands have a habit of warping over time if moisture gets in...Besides the obvious gains from strength alone, price may be something that comes into question. Time is money and these stands can take up to a month to build. (Between a 9 month old baby, wife and full time work).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have any links to how up built that stand. Lookin to do something similar for my next tank.
Nope, sorry! My friend Jeff measured everything out and we got the wood cut by a guy who owns a construction company up here to unsure straight cuts. Other than that, you have to visualize your stand and measure everything 18 times!

Looks real good!!!
Thank you! There are a LOT of hours invested in it... Turned out pretty good for being rookies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts