The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am going to be upgrading the equipment for my 75 gallon aquarium over the next few months and wanted to get some input on co2 regulators. I am currently using a single stage paintball co2 regulator and it works well, doesn't empty the tank at the end like some of the other regulators do. My main question however is, is there a difference between using a full size regulator vs a paintball regulator?? I own a full size regulator as well, but have had problems locating a 10-20# co2 tank, and all the stores in my area do an exchange, so I would end up buying a tank and then giving it away for a used one. So I was thinking of just stocking up on smaller paintball co2 tanks and just have back ups ready when they empty out so I don't have to worry about running out, and I can keep some filled on hand just in case the store runs out, which happens pretty often. If theres no major difference in the regulators I will probably upgrade to something like pictured below for my paintball set up. The second picture is of a regulator that looks almost exactly like my large style regulator.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You will be changing your tank every few weeks and will have to buy new paintball tanks every 5 years which will add up. If that's not a problem then go for it. You should be able to find a 10-20# tank if you're in a large city like Raleigh. Search for welding supply, fire extinguisher supply, brewing supply, etc.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I got a full 5# CO2 canister on CL for $50. Not saying you'll get a deal as good, but keep an eye on it. Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What's the problem with exchanging a new tank for an old one. The tanks are up to date every time u exchange. U never have to buy one again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Unless it is in plain view having a used tank is no big deal. The welding shops keep a bunch of "non rental" tanks around and just swap you every time you bring it in. The only difference is in the paint.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting a second hand co2 canister and exchanging it for a full one. Have had it hooked up for almost a week and all is working fine! The solenoid works well and doesn't appear to leak. My bubble counter had a crack in it and would not hold water so I ordered a new one. I also ordered a bubble counter for my PB co2 system and a solenoid. Also got some brass check valves for each tank.

Next I am going to get a new diffuser for my 75 gallon. I have read a lot of good reviews for the GLA atomic inline diffuser, but I am leaning more towards the GLA 75mm Atomic diffuser with built in check valve. If anyone has used this let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts