The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as it stands I have my new 75 gallon tank up and cycling. Fx4 with a fx6 output nozzle to reduce the flow, eheim thermocontrol e200. I put a a used foam filter and ceramic media from one of my ac70’s from my current 37 gallon to help boost the cycling process. Water is clear but notice surface debris. Was thinking of adding an eheim micro skim 350, but being a newb and having already made a fair share of bad purchases on my current thank was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions. I know fluval makes a skimmer but not sure if it’s compatible with fx4. Thanks. Any input is of value to me!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I prefer a skimmer built into lily pipes then a seperate piece of equipment in the tank. You can either buy a barbed reducer and some vinyl tubing to convert from the 1" tubing of the fx4 to a more standard 5/8 diameter. You can also use the built in valves on the fx4 to reduce flow if needed. Personally I like stainless steel lily pipes for easy of cleaning but some folk prefer glass.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I started a 68g open topped tank last November and put an Eheim 350 in to take care of the dust layer that seems to accumulate on the surface. I have it on a timer and only run it at night, as I like a completely silent tank (my canisters are below the floor under the tank). It works fine, does the job and is fairly invisible in a back corner of the tank against a black background.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts