The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 75gallon tank with two 250 watt HQI and Two 96 watt PC
I run co2. I also add trace minirals... I'll have to look at exactly what i'm adding.

I do 1-2 water changes a week becouse I feed my fish alot for growth.

I have 3 small botias, 10 Discus, 2 corey cats, some otocyncles and shrimp.

I also have 1 goruami and 1 pleco that i'm trying to catch and move to my other tank.

I have one problem. I have algee. It's the small black/blue stuff that grows in small patches like fur. It mostly grows on my rocks, but moved onto some of my plants.

I'm adding some more flow to the tank, I think this might help. I'm also going to start testing my water more often and make sure the co2 is up as much as it should be.

The other problem I have is with trimming my plants. I'm not sure how to trim some of them. I'll take some pics for you guys so can see what plants I have... and what the algee looks like.

If you want I can also check my water peram.

What should they be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pic of the Algee on a banana plant

This is a shot from the long side

Here is the same shot, but it has numbers so that you can tell me what kind of plants I have.... lol

Here is a shot of the tank,

with numbers,

here are some more shots,

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I currently have a 75gallon tank with two 250 watt HQI and Two 96 watt PC
I run co2. I also add trace minirals... I'll have to look at exactly what i'm adding.
Wow, that's a lot of light ... nearly 10 watts per gallon. Maybe that's contributing in part to the algae problem if there isn't enough of the other supplements (CO2, ferts) Some of it is pretty blue, too, though ... what's the color temp(s)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I know it's alot of light, but I got the light for really cheap.

I'm not sure the spec on the HQI but the PC are blue actinic. I have the info around somewhere.

last night i did a water change I added more addatives then normal, I use dry powders,

now my discus are swimming at the top of the tank looking up, and my shrimp moved up to the top of the tank. they are all fine, just at the top of the tank.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
That looks like an odyssy fixture. The bulbs that come with them are made for reef tanks. I thought I remember that getting 6500K bulbs for that fixture was a pain, because the bulbs are a little different? Crank up the Co2, most of your algae problems look Co2 related.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You aren't likely to get rid of the algae problems until you reduce the light intensity substantially. If you had only 150-200 watts you could likely get control over it, but with all of that light all you have to do is make a small mistake and the algae will grow wild. If you like the abnormal look of the blue light go ahead and use the actinics, but in the end you will be much happier with 6700 - 10000K bulbs, and I suspect the plants will like it better also.

You mention dosing "some trace minerals"? I have no idea what that is, but if you want to grow plants instead of algae, you need to be dosing an adequate amount of potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus, plus carbon and trace elements. The easiest way to do that is to use KNO3, KH2PO4, pressurized CO2 and a good trace mix, such as Seachem Flourish or Tropica Plant Nutrition Liquid. Using the lights you have make pressurized CO2 an absolute necessity to avoid algae. If you want to get up to speed better, read Rex Grigg's webpage, Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts