The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First planted tank (first real tank in like a decade at that)

4x Anglefish (no paired nor do I know their m/f ratio yet) (goal is to get 2x more, had 5x but the injured one I tried to save from PetsMart abuse with torn up fins was unsuccessful)
6x Boesmani Rainbowfish
1x BN Pleco
2x Lyretail Swordtails (1m/1f)
1x Dwarf Gourami
6x Albino Cory Cats

2x Amazon Swords
3x Anubia
5x Narrow Leaf Ferns
3x Red Cardinalis
2x other types I grabbed and don鈥檛 recall what they are lol 馃槅
Dwarf Grass that everything but the Cory Cats keep pulling up surprisingly.
-thinking about buying 2x crypts for the mix.

Is Flourish Excel worth it?

Attachments

Super Moderator
First thing you need to do is remove all of your Anubias and Ferns from the substrate. They're not plants that get planted but attached to hardscape. If you do some reading on the forum or check out some tank journals, you'll find tons of ways to attach both types of plant. I usually use small rocks that I can hide behind other bits of hardscape.

Dwarf Hair Grass needs to be separated into tiny plantlet groups and planted in a grid if you want it to spread and fill in. You'll also likely need a fertilizer regimen, good lighting and pressurized CO2. It will probably survive without those things but don't expect it to thrive.

Is Flourish Excel worth it?
Worth it for what purpose? To spot treat certain types of algae? Yes. To supplement plant growth? Sometimes. I don't think it will help you much in your current setup, as you've got mostly low light, low maintenance plants that won't need much in terms of nutrition. Swords and Crypts will probably be fine with just occasional root tabs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ferns are attached to the back of rocks and driftwood, none planted into the gravel. Anubias only have the roots covered, rhizome is on top of gravel. Been told Anubias were a good gravel plant, are they not?

Super Moderator
Been told Anubias were a good gravel plant, are they not?
They'll do best when attached to hardscape above the substrate.

While it's technically fine to just have the roots buried in substrate, it's really easy to cause the rhizome to rot by accidentally getting covered with a few bits of substrate.

Since you've got a black substrate, you could get away with my preferred method. I attach Anubias and other epiphytic plants to little chunks of black lava rock (with dark cotton thread or super glue gel) and just place them where I want them in the tank. Rock helps weight them down/keep them stationary and it's not too visible when used on black or darker substrates.

Registered
Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Number

It can be planted... It doesn't do well because of the size of the root system required. It can easily out grow most substrates or is too dense a substrate and compacts and damages the root growth substantially...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LFS sells some smaller size chunks of Malaysian wood for aquarium. Using Gorilla Super Glue Original to glue to those work good?

Super Moderator
LFS sells some smaller size chunks of Malaysian wood for aquarium. Using Gorilla Super Glue Original to glue to those work good?
That will work fine. Just be careful not to use too much glue. The gel version is what you want, as it's thicker and will give you more working time to get things placed. Any brand gel will work. The ingredient you're looking for is cyanoacrylate. Personally, I prefer the Super Glue brand gel that comes in tiny tubes so there's not a lot of wasted glue if it all ends up drying out.

You can also use thread to wrap them around whatever you're using. They'll eventually attach and you can remove the thread. If it's cotton, it'll eventually disintegrate on its own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts