The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed this former cichlid tank into a planted tank several weeks back. Lighting is 6x55watt pc 2x10000k, 2x6700k and 2x9325k. Filtration is provide by a XP3 and wet sump. 1200gph Hurricane overflows, Magdrive 9.5 return pump. CO2 is a 10lb alum tank with mostly Rex Griggs parts. Diffuser is a Rhinox 5000. Red Sea drop checker. Ferts are Greg Watson N and K, P from Fleet, micros from CSM-B and Flourish. Also does a little Excel. Substrate is Prochoice Soilmaster. Hardscape is some "I found it wood" and a couple of "I found it rock". My photo skills are poor. Also I plan to scape this in a few months when I see what likes to grow good and I get some ideas. I plan to add some cherry shrimp to this tank soon. Comments and advice welcome.

When I started the tank a few weeks ago

Now with more fast growing weeds

Hurricane overflows

Weed Pics and Lily pipe

Diffuser with powerhead above it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looks like you're off to a GREAT start! You're plants look healthy and are showing good colors. Congrats!

It certainly will be good to see when you're ready to take it to the next step. I have one tank where I'm doing the same thing right now. I keep moving in one or two stems from my mega tank to audition them in this med-light, mid tek set up.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
really nice growth in there!

curious what rate do you have your co2 going and how much are you getting in readings on the checker?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
really nice growth in there!

curious what rate do you have your co2 going and how much are you getting in readings on the checker?
Not sure what "rate" it is going. I have a solution in the drop checker that is 4 dKH. It turns green about 1.5 hours after lights and CO2 come on. By about 1 hour before lights and CO2 off it is a light green color. This is with an 11 hour photo period. All the plants pearl extensively within 1-2 hours of lights on and you can see new growth of an inch or more on the fast growers by the end of the photo period. So I would say it is over 30ppm.

I do very little testing on any of my tanks unless something does not seem right. Maybe monthly I will check KH and GH. I do large (70-90%) water changes weekly on most of my tanks. The water out of my tap is 4dKH, 8dGH, 7.4ph and 1ppm of phosphate.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hmm, weed tank.
Sounds like farm tank to me!
you could make some fat cash off this tank.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get Prochoice Soilmaster, how much did it cost and how is it workign for you? it looks great
I bought the soilmaster at my local LESCO store. It was about $13 a 50# with tax. It is working great, I have to trim this tank every couple of days. I do not like the way it looks but, the plants mostly cover it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
looking good! Lots of weeds indeed.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Wow, exceptional growth. You should let them grow emersed, lots of cool potential there.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts