The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of setting up a high light heavily planted 75 gal with an oak canopy above. The canopy will be 14" tall and drop over the sides of tank by 2". I will be using pressurized CO2 as well. Which fixture would be ideal for what I am trying to accomplish? The Reef Geek 2x54w T5 high output http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__2x54W_SLR_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap or the 4x54w T5 high output http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__4x54W_SLR_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap
Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go overboard with lighting if it is not needed to grow high light plants.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You would be fine with just the 2x54 setup and could grow pretty much whatever you wanted to, but as many people say, it's always nice to have those extra 2 to play around with. You may decide later that you want more light, or just a midday burst for a few hours.

If you plan on playing in the high light area, I would go for the 4x54. Whether there are better deals out there than this one, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've seen T-5 ballasts that will run 3 54w bulbs with 1 or 2 on a switched wire. Can't think of the brand, fulham maybe?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I would get the 2 light fixture, because that gives you as high a light intensity as you will be able to use, without a superhuman effort to maintain the tank well enough to avoid algae. You can grow any plants with that one, with good CO2, and without good CO2 you can't avoid algae problems with the 4 light fixture. More light is not better, it is usually the cause of problems.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
For a high light 75gal, I'd invest in the 4 bulb fixture. Always easier to run with less bulbs, or less hours, than trying to wring more light out of the two bulbs.

Another thing to consider, if this is an 18" wide tank, be sure to spread out the bulbs a bit over the width, to avoid a strongly lit center and darker front/back.

Although if you use a 14" canopy for some reason, and the bulbs are a foot or so above the water, it will probably spread well enough.

I don't think with your canopy height the two bulb fixture will get you anywhere near high light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts