The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m upgrading my 40gal long high light, tech and maintenance tank to 72gal low to med light tank.
Plan is: Substrate ADA Africana, pressured CO2, light ferts schedule and water changes 25-30% every 30-40 days.
Here are some samples of tank scapes which I’d like to try to reproduce.
Are they reasonable for my maintenance wish?
My lighting question is which fixture to choose and why? Tank will be with glass tops.
1. Tek fixture with 2 Middays and 2 Aquaflora bulbs-if there aren’t better ideas.
2. Fishneedit fixture with 1 pink, 1 10000K and 2 6700K bulbs
3. Catalina Aquarium fixture
4. Odyssea fixture

I’ll lift fixture by Hoppy chart and will use 2 bulbs at the time only.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would trust my new tank to the good hands at catalina. I am basing my advice on the face that depending on what result you are after Jim at catalina will make you a custom fixture for the price that you would pay for a standard fixture. This is beside the fact that the quality is far beyond what you would find anywhere else.

I have 3 planted tanks ranging from 125 down to 10 and catalina made all of my fixtures for cheaper than I could find on the market. I'd give them a call.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I would use a two bulb T5HO light hanging about 10-12 inches above the top of the tank. That should give you about the right light intensity, and good light spread over the whole tank. You could use a Catalina light fixture, or another one with very good reflectors. The Catalina one might need to be a couple of inches closer to the top of the tank. If you use a very cheap light, without a good reflector, you will probably need more bulbs, or two 2 bulb fixtures.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Or listen to Hoppy because this is a guy that knows light... When it comes to all of your lighting needs be it PAR values, distance, intensity, type, or changing schedule... 'In Hoppy we trust'

That wasn't a dig Hoppy there is respect in the above statement.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have 4 catalina fixtures, and raise them to meet Hoppy's charts also. I really like them. Get them to add switches/cords to give you lighting options, and add moonlights, cost just a little more and way kewl looking at night.

·
Registered
689 Posts
yeah, just an all around great place and an establishment that actually believes in customer service. I mean they are not local to me by any means. I'm TX and they are CA but Jim will sit down with me on the phone and attempt to determine my needs and spitball options with me before we arrive to an agreement on the fixture and price. The best part about the entire experience is I am NEVER hurried or led on to make a decision concerning price that I am not comfortable with. I mean lets face it these light fixtures, depending on requirements, can be pretty darn expensive and Catalina alleviates a lot of the unknowns and helps you make the best decision you can for the dollar.

This is the only reason why I do not feel the least bit bad about telling other would-be buyers about that establishment.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like Catalina wins so far 4:0 to other brands. What about bulbs? Are Catalina good enough or to go with Geissman bulbs? Which K rating combo will be the best?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Or listen to Hoppy because this is a guy that knows light... When it comes to all of your lighting needs be it PAR values, distance, intensity, type, or changing schedule... 'In Hoppy we trust'

That wasn't a dig Hoppy there is respect in the above statement.
:proud:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.