The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First test results after seeing that my Betta was biting his tail.

PH = 7.6
High End PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 5.0 ppm
Nitrate = Between 5.0 ppm and 10 ppm.

A day later after 75% water change:

PH = 7.6
High End PH = 8.0
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
Nitrite = 5.0 ppm
Nitrate = 0 ppm

Change his water yesterday by 50%, and I tested the tap (no treatment) and got these readings:

PH = 7.6 (both sources)

High End PH = 8.8 (both sources)

Ammonia = 0.50 ppm (both sources)

Nitrite and Nitrate are both 0 at both sources

I haven't change his water yet, but just tested his tank and these are my current readings:

PH = 7.6
PH High = 7.8
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 5.0 ppm
Nitrate = 5.0 ppm

That's where I'm at right now. I'm new to owning a fish tank and learned about the whole process of cycling recently. It scares the crap out of me, because I'm not going with chemistry or math and it seems like those are the biggest components of getting this right.

I have another clean batch of water ready for him to go (treated with API PH Down, Tetra Ammonia Safe, and AQ Salt)

At this point I'm not sure if it's another 50% water change or if I should just less.

Again, I thank everyone for even looking at this thread, answering my newbie questions, and just helping out.

I thank god for finding this forum, because you guys/gals seem very open to welcoming and helping new people. :smile:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keep up with the water changes.

You need to try and keep the ammonia and nitrite as close to 0 as possible. This may mean large daily changes, 50-75%, then retest and do another w/c if needed.

You didnt mention if your using something for chlorine? I think Ammo Safe is just for ammonia. Seachem's Prime will "remove" chlorine, chloramine and ammonia.

Ditch the API PH Down. Your Betta will be better off with a more stable ph anyways. My tap comes out at 8.2, no problems with Betta or plants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also started cycling my tank about a week ago with a betta. My ammonia came out between 0 and 0.25. Nitrites 0. And my ph is 8.0 after blackwater extract. 8.2 out of the tap. Freaking out too about this cycling business.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, here are my results before my water change.

PH = 7.6
High Range PH = 7.4
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 5.0 ppm
Nitrate = 5.0 ppm

After this test I actually added one drop of Prime to the 75% water change see what happens. I'll test tomorrow and post the results again, but for now this will have to do.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You didn't state anything about your tank setup itself. But your nitrite is the biggest issue right now. Unless this is a small bowl, IMO the easiest solution with less headache is take the betta back if you can and do a fishless cycle instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts