The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I am really close to being ready to stock my 72 gallon how does this look?

first purchase
8 otos
60 or so cherry red shrimp

2nd purchase
30 rummy noses Rasboras

I figured if I let the shrimp breed to a large colony before I added the rummy noses
I would still be able to have some shrimplets mature was I correct?
any other fish suggestions should I get more of something or less?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd aim for another dozen, at least, of some schooling fish (assuming this is a heavily planted tank). You can have more fish in a planted tank than in a fish-only tank, I aim for at least 1.5" or so per gallon of water in my heavily planted tanks (compared to 1" per gallon in fish-only). And that's without a filter (NPT).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd aim for another dozen, at least, of some schooling fish (assuming this is a heavily planted tank). You can have more fish in a planted tank than in a fish-only tank, I aim for at least 1.5" or so per gallon of water in my heavily planted tanks (compared to 1" per gallon in fish-only). And that's without a filter (NPT).
by the time I get any schooling fish this will be a be a heavily planted tank :icon_bigg
hows my revised list I added 2 otos and 10 rummies (that way its all multipules of ten which makes me very happy for no real reason)

revised list:

first purchase
10 otos
60 or so cherry red shrimp

2nd purchase
40 rummy noses Rasboras

I figured if I let the shrimp breed to a large colony before I added the rummy noses
I would still be able to have some shrimplets mature was I correct?
any other fish suggestions should I get more of something or less?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Me personally I like to get a top of the water column fish also. Which is somewhat difficult if you don't have a lid as they seem to be jumpers 99% of the time. Hatchets are probably the most popular, but I have found a new one(to me) that is fun and very nice to look at. They are brown pencil fish (Nannostomus eques). They hide among the tall stem plants when spooked but quickly come back out to there normal selves. Another cool thing is they swim at a 45 degree angle and will occasionally go 90 degrees too. Looks awesome when there all together in a school. I have 10 of these guys in a 20 gallon and they have not jumped out yet compared to my experience with hatchets. They will get some air when spooked though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me personally I like to get a top of the water column fish also. Which is somewhat difficult if you don't have a lid as they seem to be jumpers 99% of the time. Hatchets are probably the most popular, but I have found a new one(to me) that is fun and very nice to look at. They are brown pencil fish (Nannostomus eques). They hide among the tall stem plants when spooked but quickly come back out to there normal selves. Another cool thing is they swim at a 45 degree angle and will occasionally go 90 degrees too. Looks awesome when there all together in a school. I have 10 of these guys in a 20 gallon and they have not jumped out yet compared to my experience with hatchets. They will get some air when spooked though.

those guys are pretty cool looking I'll keep them in mind.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just realized that I've meant rummy nose tetras this whole time :angryfire because I wanted to make use of their schooling ability. tetras are twice almost twice as big from what Ive read (1 inch vs 1.75 inch)

well any ways heres my new stock list look good ?
Revised list:
first puchase
60 red cherry shrimp
10 otos
2nd purchase
35 rummy nose tetras (is this too many?)

·
Registered
646 Posts
i think this is a great stock list. i love my rummies. personally i would maybe do 25 rummies and a school of slightly smaller tetras, emeralds or cardinals. perhaps 20 of those

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Rummies are small bioload fish. You could very easily add another large school of fish. Especially if you're good at maintaining regular water changees.

Pencilfish would be a great choice. Cardinal tetras are also a classic combo. Just about any gentle schooling tetra would work (I'd be careful about blue tetras, phantom/serpaes, or silvertips, though).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Laura-
I just read my post asking you about them and realized that is sounded a little hmm lets say snotty I did not mean it that way :redface:
I just wanted to know for future reference
thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yes, RCS should be fine with a BN pleco. There's quite a few varieties to be found on the market these days, too, and some are very lovely. I've become quite captivated with my own Calicos...

Plecos are heavy bioload fish, and since you probably won't have much algae in your tank anyway for at least a few weeks, I'd get one with your 2nd fish order.

Will you be quarantining your fish before adding them to the main tank? I would, especially with a tank this size. Just one sick fish could wipe out your entire tank...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have a good amount of algae in this tank its been set up fishless for 8 weeks
I probably won't be able to set up a quarantine tank as I am pretty much broke although I have a 20 gallon in my basement I could set with a bio wheel and heater up for that purpose maybe... I hope I still have it

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That 20gal would be perfect.

I got a whole 29gal setup with hood, light, filter, and heater off Craigslist for $20 that I used as a QT tank when I was starting up my 90gal. I'm really glad I used it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok I did some searching and now have my newest stock list thoughts?

stock list 3
1st purchase
60 red cherry shrimp
10 ottos
2nd purchse
15 brown pencil fish
30 rummy nose tetras

that sounds good. Although after you see how those brown pencils are and with a tank your size, I would not be surprised if you bought more lol. Or maybe it's just me, but they are so dang cool to watch. They do like to play around with each other it seems also. Kind of like how puppies play fight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.