The Planted Tank Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
@Greggz - I’m sure I’ll have some more questions for you when I can sit down at home and take a look at my spreadsheet :), but I’ve just got a quick one for now:

In the pic under my sink, I don’t know why I labelled one line hot and the other cold. Thinking about it now, wouldn’t it make more sense for the hot to be running to the dishwasher? And I assume I want to run cold to the RO unit, not hot? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah cold water for sure. And you will not put a "tee" into the line.

The RO system will come with an adapter that connects to the flexible line that goes up to your faucet. Like this:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Can you recommend which RO unit to go with @Greggz? There are so many, at so many price points, I'm not really sure which one to get. I'd like to keep it <$250 if I can. These are the ones I've come across so far:

Aquatic Life 3 stage
Aquatic Life 4 stage (cheaper than the 3 stage of the same model)
Geekpure 5 stage
Hikins 5 stage
HydroLogic 3 stage (cheaper to buy in US and pay shipping and duties than to buy in Canada haha)

I assume more stages = more $ when it comes to replacing filters, so I think I want to go with the fewest I can. But then again, I don't know what I'm doing haha. Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Can you recommend which RO unit to go with @Greggz?
I'm no expert on RO systems. When I researched them, after a while they all begin to look alike.

It appears there are lots of brands that look be pretty much the same exact thing, just labeled differently.

In my case, I am on a well, and we also use the system to feed the kitchen for drinking water. So I went with a 6 stage system, which includes a remineralization/alkaline filter. It adds back some minerals, which makes the drinking water taste better.

If you will not be producing drinking water, you wouldn't need it. I would probably go with a five stage system. If you are going to all the trouble to set it up, might as well. The brand I use is Ispring, but like I said, they are all similar. The RO filter itself makes the biggest difference, as to how many gallons per hour it can make. If you are changing water once a week, doesn't really matter much, you will make plenty.

You also need to look at your water pressure. Most require 40 PSI minimum, and 60+ is much better. I use a booster pump to increase pressure to 80 psi.

The bigger questions are how you will store the water, then get it to the tank. Remember if you are filling a storage container, you will need a float valve to turn the unit on/off.

Let me know if you have any other questions once you choose a system.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Yeah but an RO demand pump is using RO 1/4" water lines, which are small and it would take forever. I have a 1/4HP submersible utility pump inside one of the holding tanks, which make short work of filling the tank.
The bigger questions are how you will store the water, then get it to the tank. Remember if you are filling a storage container, you will need a float valve to turn the unit on/off.

I feel like I don't need anything too substantial to handle those kind of numbers. I was planning on essentially making a quick connect fitting at the top of the one 55 gal drum so that I can attach that white hose (hanging on the railing) whenever I want to fill a tank with water. Won't be the prettiest setup when I'm filling but I think it's better than running a bunch of hose along the walls haha. I'm certainly open to suggestions though, as I'm no master plumber!

Do you know if I can put a ball valve somewhere closer to the tanks so that I can control the flow when filling the smaller tanks? Or would that put strain on the pump's motor?

The actual 55 gal drums I'm going to use can be found here. I'm going with the ones with removable lids.

I ordered this float valve. This TDS meter. And this RO unit.

Any idea what kind of tubing I should use to go from the RO unit to my storage drums?

You are going to need to couple together the drums. I used a flexible Uniseal tank adapter.
I've got some of those laying around from my attempt at aquaponics :)

And you may or may not need the heaters. My tanks are in a basement storage room, so the water is usually in the mid sixties. I have the heaters on a timer, and they turn on Friday afternoon so the water is heated by Saturday morning. But I only heat the water to 72*. Sure it cools the tank a bit, but really that is no big deal. If my stored water was in the 70's, I wouldn't use heaters at all.
I live in the north of Canada haha. Mid sixties is toasty in the winter :crying:. I might be able to get by without the heaters for a month in the summer.

You also need to look at your water pressure. Most require 40 PSI minimum, and 60+ is much better. I use a booster pump to increase pressure to 80 psi.
Do you know of a convenient way for me to check my pressure?

Thanks for all the help!! :grin2:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Do you know if I can put a ball valve somewhere closer to the tanks so that I can control the flow
when filling the smaller tanks? Or would that put strain on the pump's motor?
No I wouldn't use a ball valve. You could use a remote AC switch like this. I would have but I just hard wired my pump to a switch by the tank.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JECR4XA/ref=dp_prsubs_1
The actual 55 gal drums I'm going to use can be found here. I'm going with the ones with removable lids.

I ordered this float valve. This TDS meter. And this RO unit.

Any idea what kind of tubing I should use to go from the RO unit to my storage drums?
All looks good. Any RO water tubing like below. Just need to find in a length close to what you need. I needed a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYL1PD6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know of a convenient way for me to check my pressure?

Thanks for all the help!! :grin2:
I use one of these on the line feeding the RO system. Or you can get one that screws onto a hose bib or water heater drain for about $10.00 at the hardware store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VUXD7ZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
No I wouldn't use a ball valve. You could use a remote AC switch like this. I would have but I just hard wired my pump to a switch by the tank.
The ball valve wouldn't be to turn the flow on and off really, more just to dampen it for my smaller tanks. I can attach the outflow pointed towards the top of my 120 and let it blast away without much worry. The same kind of flow in my ~8 gallon betta tank would be disastrous!!

I was thinking something like this:

I use one of these on the line feeding the RO system. Or you can get one that screws onto a hose bib or water heater drain for about $10.00 at the hardware store.
I'm on city water so should have decent pressure. Can I just hook it all up and see how many gallons per day it's making? And if it's well short of what it's supposed to do, then look at the pressure?

Friggin frick! I just can't keep any of my fert solutions from going moldy. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I added ascorbic acid to the mix. I stopped introducing tank water. There is a small air hole in the lid of the container. Could that be the issue?

I've even ordered most of my micros from @burr740. The only one that is different is my chelated iron. I use this stuff. Could it be the issue?

I'm just had some potassium sorbate delivered so that I can try it @Deanna's and @burr740's suggestions.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
The new tank (should I start a new journal or just update the title of this one?):

(Please excuse the mess in my garage. I've been storing a bunch of stuff for friends and they are now coming to collect some items. So it's all just in big piles haha)

Anybody try this?

Leak testing

For a different project :grin2: :

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
should I start a new journal or just update the title of this one?

My laziness has answered my own question for me. When transitioning from the 72 to the 120 I put all my plants into two big garbage bins of tank water. I figured 24hrs in there wouldn't hurt, 48hrs at most. Well, over 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of carnage. The myrio and hygro did fairly well. Same with the crypt. The bulb types will be fine (madagasgar lace, lily, lagenandra, crinium). I'm hoping to salvage some AR mini, some L. 'super red', and some bacopa. Pretty much everything else went in the trash.

So that seems like a pretty fitting end to this journal. It was the first one I've ever done. I've learned quite a bit along the way, and have a long way still to go, but I'm excited to try and take my 120 to the next level.

8 months later...

161 - 169 of 169 Posts