The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think 70watts would be good to penetrate it.

Also, I believe 2x70w MH lights would be good since they cover a 2x2 area? correct me if i'm wrong people!

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is what i currenlty use.
used to run 2 x 10000k (nice colour) till one bulb blew... through sheer laziness i put the old shopfitter bulb back in. its 6500k... better growth under the 6500k but the blue/green tinge isn't as vibrant under the 6500k

i'm running co2 and daily dupla ferts, plants are pearling and growth is great...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm considering 2 x 70W MH for a 4x2x2 (400l, 120gal)

I'd be replacing 216W HOT5 with 140W MH.

My thoughts on why to choose 2 x70W over 2 x 150W MH are:

1) Not using CO2. Temp 20C

2) I want the lights on a bit longer for my enjoyment - say 10-12hrs a day.

3) Currently using 216W of HOT5 for 8hrs and its about right - 300W MH will be too much for sure.

4) There are no carpeting plants in the tank. Plants are mainly giant val, ludwigia and various potamogetons.

I'm only considering the change from HOT5 to MH for the aesthetics. I like open-top tanks and free access to view from the top. The T5 fittings get in the way.

Does anyone think 2 x 70W without suplementary lighting will be too dim?

Does anyone have a photo of their 2' high tank lit by 70W halides and nothing else?

Opinions?

Journal for this tank: 'The Snag'

·
Registered
618 Posts
Im really diggin your tank!

Im using some 150w MHs over my 90 gallon. I would suffice to say two or even three 70w should do you well. I would try purchasing one 70w setup and see how you like it. I purchased my mh reflectors from hellolights.com pricematched to diyreef for $35. Bulbs from viclite, and ballasts from ballastwise.com
I see your live in australia (guessing from location on other forum) I dont know any suppliers down there for cheap mh parts.

I cant wait to see how your setup looks with MH. I really love how you did your stand! If my dining room didnt have nice wood trim I would of made mine like that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.