The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I'm seeing bulbs in this light spectrum from this seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/70W-70-watt-800...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a66b68e

Has anyone tried them? I bought 10000K bulbs from this same seller a couple times and have been satisfied with them for two years. Another reason I'm posthing these is because they're hard to come by in this format. I could only find sources selling these types of bulbs that were located overseas and the cheapest I could find were $40 a bulb plus shipping. If anyone has any experience with them, let me know.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what fixture are you using for these?
(I've never used a MH under 250 watts)

Sounds like you've been using it for awhile, are there any issues
inherent to these smaller wattage bulbs/fixtures?

Thanks in Advance

Larry K

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what fixture are you using for these?
(I've never used a MH under 250 watts)

Sounds like you've been using it for awhile, are there any issues
inherent to these smaller wattage bulbs/fixtures?

Thanks in Advance

Larry K
HQI's AKA "Double Ended" are newer design than mogul and are mainly used in smaller application which give a better presentation... pendants, it's much smaller but was little more expensive and requires UV blocking Glass where as Mogul already has UV coating on the bulb. HQI's should never be operated without the use of UV filtering glass because it can be harmful to humans and fish.
Generally speaking HQI' has a much narrower beam but burns a little hotter than mogul.

Excellent presentation as you can see here:

·
Registered
280 Posts
ebay bulbs 99% of the time aren't the greatest quality/color. i know from experience that i thought i would be fine with an ebay bulb. and i was..... for about 4 days until something about the color just started annoying me. i bought the same color temp ushio and the difference is huge! if your happy with your ebay brand than i suppose it should be fine. for me.... i will never again buy ebay bulbs

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't compare these bulbs to Ushio, or any other name brand, but they're not too bad imo. I agree that they wash out some blue and red colors, but I just can't bring myself to spend $60 - $80 per bulb plus shipping for the difference. I only use my HQI's as supplemental lighting, running them only a couple hours and consider my T5's my main source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts