The Planted Tank Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks again for sharing this info.

Few Questions:

Are are those brown ones(clay) from ADA or a different product any idea where to buy and what are these called ?

Have you mixed these clay type and osmocote into gel capsule yourself or you purchased this entire kit somewhere?

Thanks,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks again for sharing this info.

Few Questions:

Are are those brown ones(clay) from ADA or a different product any idea where to buy and what are these called ?

Have you mixed these clay type and osmocote into gel capsule yourself or you purchased this entire kit somewhere?

Thanks,
The ADA one is called Bottom Plus. It's really rich in NH3/NH4 just like amazonia. I was using the whole stick as instruction. And it is supposed to leave undisturbed for a few months.
Obviously it didn't work well with my weekly uprooting :grin2:.
If I've ever used it again, I would have cut it into small pieces and used it very sparsely.

I bought the ingredients and made the capsule myself.
I'm from Japan so I have no idea how to buys those stuffs in other countries.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks.

Another question hope you wont mind me asking so many questions :).

When you decide to use root tabs under any specific plant/plants...do you alter the water column dosing for that week , like reducing the water column dosing to compensate for any leaks into the water column?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks.

Another question hope you wont mind me asking so many questions :).

When you decide to use root tabs under any specific plant/plants...do you alter the water column dosing for that week , like reducing the water column dosing to compensate for any leaks into the water column?
I keep the water dosing the same. I don't want to make things too complicated.
I'm making substrate replenishing a part of the tank's maintenance.
ADA Amazonia substrate has a "magic" period (about 1-3 months after setting up) that plants grow amazing well.
After that, the growth rate significantly slows down. About 12 months in, I think there's no Nitrogen left in the substrate.
Here in Asia, people often change the substrate when it's depleted of nutrients.
As a cheapskate, I don't wanna change the substrate every year but still want to maintain a good growth rate.
Using root tabs is one of the best ways to do so IMO.

==========================================
Tank update
Straying away from a traditional Dutch tank >:). Too many colors.
The left side is okay. The right side needs some more work. I need to propagate more lotus blossom and sunset to use them as mid-background plants in the right side.
https://flic.kr/p/2k2wZzq

https://flic.kr/p/2k2wZzR

Sunset grows extremely well if kept at the right height. It struggles a lot when planted too close to the substrate. But when it's about 15cm or 6 inches from the surface, the plant suddenly changes to beast mode and grows almost as fast as the Pantanal.
https://flic.kr/p/2k1AHTB

Left side.

BBA on the nana and ghost is dying off after I fix the co2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you comment a bit on your maintenance routine? Substrate vacuuming? How do you trim when stems are too compact next to each other? Uproot a group, trim, and replant?

Your maintenance and husbandry levels are amazing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Great layout of plants. That tripartita is nicely used to cover the filter hoses.
Thanks. The tripartita wasn’t planted there. They grow themselves out of the tank :D. I thought it would look cool so I leave it there.

Could you comment a bit on your maintenance routine? Substrate vacuuming? How do you trim when stems are too compact next to each other? Uproot a group, trim, and replant?

Your maintenance and husbandry levels are amazing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks,

Daily maintenance is mostly removing dead leaves while watching the tank. This is to reduce the organics in the tank. Dead leaves can dissolve very quickly.

Water change is done twice a week. About 80-90% each time.

Substrate vacuuming is done once or twice a month while doing WC. It’s highly recommended. Every time I get red algae (BBA or staghorn algae), I always do more vacuuming and within a few weeks, they’re gone. BBA mostly appear due to too much flow/fluctuation of co2 or too much light, but apparently it is also caused by too much organics. Frequently uprooting plants makes the matter worse. When I see BBA on the hardscape or equipments, but not the plants, I know that the tank needs more substrate cleaning.

Filter cleaning is done every two months or monthly if I have time. This is not recommended in other type of aquarium since it disturbs with the BB colony in the filters. However, in a planted tank, plants remove most of the ammonia. Filter cleaning removes the organics which then reduces the biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) of the tank. Since we don’t need a large colony of BBs to chew all the organics waste, there is more oxygen available to the plants and the fishes. This hugely improves fish and plant’s health.

IMO, all the reducing organic waste above is crucial in a high energy system with the canister filters. It’s almost always oxygen limited. If you’re using a sump or running a low energy tank, I think it’s not really that important.

Plants maintenance is done whenever any of the plant groups reaches the surface. First uproot the plant -> remove the bottom -> lightly vacuuming the area -> replant the tops. Leave some space between the groups, like 2 inches/5cm so the group would barely touch each other when they grow out. This helps improving the group-to-group contrast.

Space between the stems within a group is also important. Sometimes it’s for plant health. Touchy plants like Pantanal or macrandra don’t like to be too crowded. The stem in the middle of the group is prone to tip stunting if the neighbor stems out grow it. Sometimes it’s for the visual effect. Depending what kind of texture you want.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Here is a photo of the tank today :D
https://flic.kr/p/2k3P2eE

·
Registered
22 Posts
@nntnam great post about maintenance above.

I agree with every single thing you said.

Everyone is looking for the "secret" to a great tank. It's mostly just working harder at it.
I agree. I always tried to find ways to reduce algae through magic bullets but then started focusing on plants and more detailed maintenance and have already seen very good results. "Focus on plant health" was the greatest advice for me!

Omid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your tank is absolutely gorgeous, well done!

Reactions: nntnam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Gorgeous as always!

Love the color on the Limno Aromatica mini, much better than mine.

How deep is that tank front to back? And are you running all ten bulbs for full lighting period?

Any idea of the PAR at substrate? Maybe I need to turn mine up!
Is this the mini variant? I honestly don't know. We only have one type here. Do you have a comparison photo?
I like the plant but it's a hard to predict one. The color can swing from green to red within a few days. So many time I have to remove it because of that. The plant gets too red and destroys the contrast of its surrounding area.

The tank is 24in front-back.

No I don't run all ten LOL. Not (yet) that crazy or skilled to do so >:). All ten bulbs are only on for 2 hours in the middle of the photo period. Total period is 7hrs.

Sorry I don't have a PAR meter. Can't tell you the exact number. However, based on the number of other tanks and rotalabutterfly calculator, I guess it's somewhere between 100 and 170umol. The former is when I run 6-8 bulbs, the latter is when all 10 are on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Just minor update

The red erio grows insanely fast with the new diet: daily EI + lots of root tabs.

This is, surprisingly, the fastest growing Erio in my tank. Takes less than one month to grow from a baby to a adult plant. They multiply like rabbits too.

Still now sure how to use it in the display tank. This is one of the hardest erios to scape with. It has really high CO2 demand for such a short plant. Being so short in a tank full of tall and hungry plants, this plant always struggles to get enough CO2.

https://flic.kr/p/2k7xKRv

https://flic.kr/p/2k7xc45

The macrandra variegated also goes crazy for the new diet.
https://flic.kr/p/2k7yaDR

61 - 80 of 107 Posts