The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
12'' x 12'' x 12'' 7.6 ph, 16 dgh 5 kh

I was thinking 1 dario, 4 asian stone catfish, maybe 5 medaka fish or 5 least killifish. Would that work?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If by dario, you mean something like a scarlet badis (dario dario), then yes. If by asian stone cat you mean Hara jerdoni, then also yes (not Hara hara). I would keep it at that level, and then see if you could get away with a few medaka or least killifish based off of how much nitrates/phosphates you're dosing and other factors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If by dario, you mean something like a scarlet badis (dario dario), then yes. If by asian stone cat you mean Hara jerdoni, then also yes (not Hara hara). I would keep it at that level, and then see if you could get away with a few medaka or least killifish based off of how much nitrates/phosphates you're dosing and other factors.
ok thank you! I will do exactly what you said.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I do any rice fish if it works out? Or only medaka

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would see what their size is. If they're over about an inch and a half, then I wouldn't look at that specific ricefish species. For example, medaka work, as would Daisy's ricefish (O. woworae). Are there any that you had in mind specifically?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would see what their size is. If they're over about an inch and a half, then I wouldn't look at that specific ricefish species. For example, medaka work, as would Daisy's ricefish (O. woworae). Are there any that you had in mind specifically?
Daisy, exactly, cause those or the prettiest ones in my lfs imo. Can I feed the dario bloodworms? And when do I feed these guys? Every day, twice a week, once a week?

Another thing is what is the number of fish I would be able to get? 2 dario, 4 asian stone catfish, and 5 medaka fish? Would my original plan work out.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You can try to feed the Dario bloodworms, but I would recommend making sure you have a live food culture as backup in case the fish don't get into it. You feed them everyday, they're micropredators. 2x a day would be great, but you can get away with 1x a day. The only time you do spaced out feedings, is with large carnivores such as adult oscars, and the larger saltwater fish. For example, you might feed an adult oscar or flowerhorn 1-2x/week, and a lionfish 1x/week.

Please read my initial post more carefully regarding how many fish you're able to get.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You can try to feed the Dario bloodworms, but I would recommend making sure you have a live food culture as backup in case the fish don't get into it. You feed them everyday, they're micropredators. 2x a day would be great, but you can get away with 1x a day. The only time you do spaced out feedings, is with large carnivores such as adult oscars, and the larger saltwater fish. For example, you might feed an adult oscar or flowerhorn 1-2x/week, and a lionfish 1x/week.

Please read my initial post more carefully regarding how many fish you're able to get.
Oh ok, will seed shrimp work? I have a bunch in my tank and Im setting up a culture now.
I also thought about only doing 1 dario since I dont want to accidentally grab 2 males and i want less bioload.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You can certainly try seed shrimp, but I'm fairly certain that very very few things will eat ostracods. I would instead recommend something like grindal worms or daphnia. Baby brine shrimp could also work well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can certainly try seed shrimp, but I'm fairly certain that very very few things will eat ostracods. I would instead recommend something like grindal worms or daphnia. Baby brine shrimp could also work well.
Yeah, thanks for all the help! However, my parents dont approve of live food, ig i have to not to dario, and just go with asian stones and blue daisy rice fish. :( Sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts