The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first day of running co2 and I'm not quite sure what my drop checker is signifying. Starting CO2 an hour before lights on and an hour before lights off for 6 hours total Any suggestions for what to do next? I've only noticed about a 0.3-0.5 PH difference. Included a picture of what the solution is before and after. Im using an offbrand Amazon dropchecker, UNS mini reg, and Twinstar diffuser.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you make your own solution or did you use a premixed solution? Where is the diffuser in relation to the drop checker? Is the CO2 being adequately dispersed?

Your drop checker is indicating there's CO2 in the tank or else it would be a deep blue. Try turning up your bubble count and checking two hours later to see if there's a change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you make your own solution or did you use a premixed solution? Where is the diffuser in relation to the drop checker? Is the CO2 being adequately dispersed?

Your drop checker is indicating there's CO2 in the tank or else it would be a deep blue. Try turning up your bubble count and checking two hours later to see if there's a change.
I'm using premixed solution from Amazon. And the drop checker is on the opposite side of the tank at the top. The diffuser at the bottom left and checker on the top right. I have a good amount of surface agitation so it should be dispursed evenly. My CO2 period just ended so I'll have to see if it changes to blue. About how long should it take? I read ifz about an hour delay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm using premixed solution from Amazon. And the drop checker is on the opposite side of the tank at the top. The diffuser at the bottom left and checker on the top right. I have a good amount of surface agitation so it should be dispursed evenly. My CO2 period just ended so I'll have to see if it changes to blue. About how long should it take? I read ifz about an hour delay.
It will take more time than that. There is a delay between when the levels change and when the drop checker will react. But there's also a delay between when you stop injecting CO2 and when the CO2 levels really bottom out. Mine never really turns deep blue even in the middle of the night.

You're already monitoring the Ph drop which is the more accurate way to go about measuring. Try to get a sample of water right before you go to bed (or whatever time is a few hours after your CO2 stops) and compare that to a sample taken a few hours into your CO2 injection. That'll give you a more accurate understanding of the extent of your Ph difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will take more time than that. There is a delay between when the levels change and when the drop checker will react. But there's also a delay between when you stop injecting CO2 and when the CO2 levels really bottom out. Mine never really turns deep blue even in the middle of the night.

You're already monitoring the Ph drop which is the more accurate way to go about measuring. Try to get a sample of water right before you go to bed (or whatever time is a few hours after your CO2 stops) and compare that to a sample taken a few hours into your CO2 injection. That'll give you a more accurate understanding of the extent of your Ph difference.
Okay thank you so much. I'll check again later tonight to see.

·
Registered
629 Posts
No, no. I was talking about getting a pH measurement. :)

It can take awhile beyond overnight to fully degass.

This has no effect on plants and really not an issue for animals since you said you had water movement at the surface.

**Edit
In my tank it takes roughly 6 hrs for the co2 to really start dropping. The first couple of hours it only drops by 2 maybe 3 tenths.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.