The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a small simple 29 fresh water set up that i use a coralife 30" dual T5 bulb lightstrip on. it came out of the box with a 10,000k daylight and 6700k grow bulb both are 18watt. For some unknown reason i can't seem to keep the 6700k bulbs long. Both bulbs receive the same amount of time powered up, 10 to 12 hrs a day, but the 10,000k bulbs seem to last forever. i usually replace the 10,000k bulbs from age alone but the 6700k bulbs burn completely out and are inop in approx 4 to 5 months.

Do i have a ballast issue ? or do i have situation where the make up of the 6700 bulb just don't have the life span as other higher rated K value bulbs or bulbs with a different spectrum ?

with no LFS in the area that carries them, mail ordering bulbs all the time is getting lame.

any input would be great

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If both bulbs are driven by the same ballast it is most likely a bulb issue. And no, higher K bulbs don't really last longer than lower K bulbs. There are batches of certain bulbs (the old Aquamedic Planta comes to mind) that are just bad. Conversely, I have some cheap GE 6500K bulbs running for many years already.

Not sure how to resolve the issue if you are faced with a very poor selection of bulbs. Avoiding those 6700K bulbs would be the logical choice. Perhaps you could go 2x 10000K, although that could wash out some of the lighter green plants completely. Perhaps there is a pinkish plant gro bulb in that size/wattage that you could test. Also, when you mail order, buy them in quantity (like 4 at the same time) so shipping cost gets spread out a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I think it's just a quality control thing. I had the opposite problem, my 10k's would not last. I have 3 of these fixtures and for the most part, I have original bulbs, some probably 3-4 years old. Sometimes you just get a bad bulb. I think I had problems with 10k's, only because I think I kept buying some from the same run. My LFS doesn't sell many of these lights in 30 in. After they had ran out, and eventually got a new shipment, I didn't have issues.

Do other companies sell this size bulb? It's a F18 T5.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for everyone's reply's. i'm having a real hard time finding a T5 6500k in a 30" length. it's looking like i'm going to have to get another coralife. thanks for the info though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.