The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to upgrading my lighting and would like to know if anyone has any pix of what the 6700k/10000k lights look like under water.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Someone posted an excellent aquarium bulb comparison a year or two ago. It was the best aquarium light comparison that I have ever seen. I wish that I could find it. Maybe someone will post it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The real question, do plants grow equally well under 10,000K as they do under the 6500K? I love the look of a tank with the 10000K, the water has a wonderful clear look. I am trying to figure our my lighting right now....Fun.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Because most consumder point-and-shoot digicams set the "white balance" for photos automatically getting accurate look of the "color" of the lights in photos is going to be challenging. Even the bulb comparison discussed above is limited in usefulness since seeing comparisons next to each other often over-emphasizes the difference.

I use 6700k, 10000k and 18000k (and combos thereof) on my three tanks and going from room to room I doubt anyone could name which each one was, but next to each other they could.

Personally I like the 6700k/10000k combo myself finding the 6700k by itself slightly too yellow and the 10000k by itself slightly too blue. But in the end everyone has their own taste, and also sight impressions (i.e. I remember in one Epson printer photography forum I was involved in this one guy kept sharing photos he felt were perfectly neutral (neither too warm nor too cool---yellow or blue), but to most everyone else they were way too blue. And obviously so. But he saw them as neutral grey).

n the end you need to go see them yourself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use 6700k, 10000k and 18000k (and combos thereof) on my three tanks and going from room to room I doubt anyone could name which each one was, but next to each other they could.
Rich,
Plants do well in all the setups? If that is the case, I may just keep my 15K bulb and add some 10K t-5 and call it a day ... for now ... hummm

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Because most consumder point-and-shoot digicams set the "white balance" for photos automatically getting accurate look of the "color" of the lights in photos is going to be challenging. Even the bulb comparison discussed above is limited in usefulness since seeing comparisons next to each other often over-emphasizes the difference....
I found it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/59868-t5ho-54w-48-k-comparisons.html

Day Light - WB setting
_____3500 K__________4100 K___________6000 K__________10000 K__________Actinic_____

Auto - WB setting
_____3500 K__________4100 K___________6000 K__________10000 K__________Actinic_____

Fluorescent H - WB setting

Custom/6000 K set as White - WB setting

Custom/10000 K set as White - WB setting
Lets see if this works... (trying to make it easier to compare)

BTW... I have the full size individuals of all these photos if you'd like to see better details (you can see the snails winking) let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
sweet, thanks. but which of those is the 6700/10000 combo. very nice
None.

Check out the 6000K and 10,000K pictures. They are fairly close to what it would look like.

This is my 2¢ worth. I've used the 6700K/10,000K bulbs for several years. They grow plants well. They wash out the red colors a little bit. They look a little purple. The other colors are crisp.

Do you need a 40w, 65w, 96w or 130w bulb(s)?

Does your fixture use 1 bulb or 2?

The reason that I'm asking is that I may know some combinations that you might like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will be upgrading to either a t5 18" which holds 2x20w bulbs 10000k and actinic but i would prob opt for 2 10k bulbs or a single sat compact fluor 6700k/10k combo. The fixture has to be less than 22" to fit my hood and that was all i could find. I only plan to grow frogbit, anubias, and java and want the fish colors to look their best.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Mixing one of the "pinkish" plant bulbs with a 5000K to 10,000K bulb will bring out the colors. I know there are 55w/65w PC's and 24w T5HO's available, but shorter "pinkish" bulbs may be hard to find.

Can you use T-8's? Zoo Med's Flora Sun used in conjunction with Ultra Sun or Tropic Sun. It comes in 15" 14w and 18" 15w lengths for your hood. It grows plants well. Also the red and blue portions of the color spectrum are highlighted.
Flora Sun: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...zOjI6IjI0IjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjI6IjIwIjt9
aquarium bulbs: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/S...ting&Heading=Aquarium&Search.x=24&Search.y=20

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mixing one of the "pinkish" plant bulbs with a 5000K to 10,000K bulb will bring out the colors. I know there are 55w/65w PC's and 24w T5HO's available, but shorter "pinkish" bulbs may be hard to find.

Can you use T-8's? Zoo Med's Flora Sun used in conjunction with Ultra Sun or Tropic Sun. It comes in 15" 14w and 18" 15w lengths for your hood. It grows plants well. Also the red and blue portions of the color spectrum are highlighted.
Flora Sun: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...zOjI6IjI0IjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjI6IjIwIjt9
aquarium bulbs: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/S...ting&Heading=Aquarium&Search.x=24&Search.y=20

Your 2cents comments are always MUCH more!!! Don't be that humble~!!

I guess you have a pink lamp with a white one (10000k or 6700k or wtever), right? How do you like it? I read some other posts here and there and it seems like most ppl dislike it...

I was considering the Current Satellite 1x40w for my 20" 10g tank... but the satellite line is now discontinued.... From your other posts, it seems like Coralife Aqualight's ballast is rated as 40w. What would you recommend, getting the Aqualight or THIS. It comes with a 10000K bulb and a pink freshwater bulb. I will just suspend the fixture if do end up getting it.

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Your 2cents comments are always MUCH more!!! Don't be that humble~!!

I guess you have a pink lamp with a white one (10000k or 6700k or wtever), right? How do you like it? I read some other posts here and there and it seems like most ppl dislike it...

I was considering the Current Satellite 1x40w for my 20" 10g tank... but the satellite line is now discontinued.... From your other posts, it seems like Coralife Aqualight's ballast is rated as 40w. What would you recommend, getting the Aqualight or THIS. It comes with a 10000K bulb and a pink freshwater bulb. I will just suspend the fixture if do end up getting it.

Thanks!
I haven't figured out your aquarium's dimensions. I need to know this before I can answer much more. What are we trying to light?

Are you going to be using CO2? If you go with the T5HO fixture, you will more than likely need CO2.

The 20" Satellite fixture is probably better than the 20" Aqualight even though both need their actinic/10,000K bulbs swapped out. Marine and Reef has a 20" 1x40w Satellite listed.
http://www.marineandreef.com/Satellite_Single_40W_Current_USA_Satellite_20_inch_p/rcu01002.htm

This is my 1½¢ worth. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Rich,
Plants do well in all the setups? If that is the case, I may just keep my 15K bulb and add some 10K t-5 and call it a day ... for now ... hummm
Yes, they do. My 72 gal (link below) is using one 6700k and one 18,000k.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you want to use "the best" pink PC, you can use the following adapters with a straight pin 55w GE 9325K bulb.

adapters: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380102764565&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

GE 9325K PC: http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=F55BX.AR.FSGE
Do you have any experience using those adapters? I bought them but never used them since they look really flimsy and I was afraid it would short out or something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts