The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all,

I have a choice to make for my lighting. I have a 48" CF coralife fixture on my 75 gallon tank. I already have 2x65watt 10000s and dont know what i should get as my other 2 bulbs. Any suggestions? I will be using pressurized co2. Pros and cons vs 67000 and 10000? 2 of each? four 10000s?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I'm not at all sure that all 10,000K bulbs give the same spectra. The one I have is a cheap Chinese import that I got in a plain white wrapper from a LFS, and I love it. It is just white light, no color at all that I can see. The GE9325K bulbs are great for bringing out the red colors of plants and fish, so combining that with the 10,000K bulbs should work very well. But, in the end, the best combination is the one you like the looks of best.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I use a combination of 18,000k (Hagen PowerGlo T5) and 6700k (Hagen LifeGLO T5) over my 72 gal. And like the combination very much. I generally like warmer light but using two 6700k was a tad too yellow for me, thus my combination used now.

Over my 60P I have a 65W 10,000k CF and a 65W 6700k CF. Mostly I use just one of the lights as it's plenty for the mostly hairgrass Iwagumi set-up I have in there and thusly use the 6700k most of the time and I like it in this tank. But when I have people over for more "wow effect" and display I turn both the 6700k and 10000k lights on and it looks very natural.

I recommend you get 2 more 6700k lights to add to the two 10000k lights.

That said though that's a LOT of light and may be way more than you need. When I had that much over my tank I had algae issue galore. I'm at 2x54W over my 72 gal now (only 1.5W gal T5 HO) and everything is growing great anyway. Main difference is I now do not have to do a major trim every darn weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. now i see I have more of choice of taste then "plant needs" since I will have plenty of wattage. So my buddy called me and he said he had 2 10,000 at home that I can have. Hmmm.... I think I might still get the 67s though. This way I can see how they look together. Maybe I will blast the tank with Light and co2 in the beginning to get the HC to spread faster(with no fish of course), then tone it down and start planting and adding fish.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. Mount the lights one foot above the tank?
That would be a good place to start. You could always lower the height a bit if you don't get the amount of light you want. I'm sold on hanging lights above the tank, for the total flexibility it gives you on intensity, plus the much improved uniformity of intensity all over the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.