The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on a few larger show piece fish and a smaller shoal of fish.

Right now my tank has 3 albino cories (sadly I lost 2 recently and plan to take it back up to 5) and a young common pleco, who is about 3 inches right now.

When I got the pleco I did some research and it said that he would be fine in my tank. I just went on aquadvisor and it said that it is not a good fit for my tank, that it will get aggressive with my cories and that it will outgrow my tank. :icon_frow

Some specs on my tank:

4 foot long, 66 gallons
planted but battling algae at the moment - it has gotten so much better but still have a little on the plants
eheim 2215 plus 750 gal/hour koralia powerhead
small stones for substrate

I was thinking I wanted a school of cardinals and that was it, but now I am thinking I want one or 2 large show piece fish in there too.

What do you think? Is this possible? What large(ish) show piece fish would you suggest? I would like something that won't be shy, that will actually swim around in the tank so I can watch him!

If you need any other information please let me know.

I was hoping to get the larger fish on Wednesday and then add the cardinals at a later date. Is this ok or should the school be established first before adding the large fish?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Some suggestions:
Return the Common Pleco. If you want a large one, get the Bristlenose. Fits just fine, and you could get 2 (M & F) and let them breed.

Option 1.1, warmest water:
Pearl or Moonlight Gourami. You could try one male and one or more females, but be ready to remove someone if it does not work. IME Moonlights are a bit more aggressive, Pearls more tolerant of each other.
25 Cardinal Tetras
12 Kuhlie Loaches

Option 1.2, another warmest water:
Mated pair of Angelfish
15 Bleeding Hearts or Diamond Tetras.
12 Brochis splendens or other Cory or relative that is OK at this warm temperature

Option 2, mid temperature water:
Any of the 3-spot Gourami color morphs. If you want more than one make sure they are both females.
25 Rummy nose or other small Tetra.
12 Albino, Bronze or most other Cories OR more, dwarf Cories. Smaller ones like Pandas or even smaller, several species.

Option 3, cooler water tank:
1 and only one Paradise fish. Watch him! Some get aggressive even with lower swimming fish
25 Neon Tetras
12 Pepper Cories, Julis or other cooler water Cories. Most are just fine in the low 70sF.

You could sure mix it up some more, perhaps a school of Hatchets for the top of the tank (covered tank, only) then get a lower swimming show fish, perhaps a few Rainbows.
You could get some more bottom fish like Dwarf Cichlids- Rams, Apistos, Kribs... but then the other bottom fish (Cories) might be a problem.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The only pleco I have access to at my lfs is the common pleco. I really like this guy a lot. I am so sad. Is he just not a good fit with my tank because of his size? I thought my tank was big enough. :(

I currently have albino cories and would like to stick with those so I will have to look at the mid temperature options. I am not sure if my lfs has 3 spot gouramis but I will have a look. Are they skittish? My tank is a peninsula tank so it sticks out into the room, there isn't much cover yet. My plants need to grow up more still.

I had bad luck with neons. I think they are very pretty but I didn't get them from a good shop so they didn't work out. :( Also, they really stuck to the back of the tank, near the wall, so even though I had quite a few I barely saw them.

My lfs does have rainbow fish of some sort, I will have a look at them again. I remember liking them when I saw them.

I love hatchet fish. My tank is covered. I have a glass top and there are a few gaps, but there is window screen on top of it so there really aren't any places for them to jump out.

So, if I decided to go with rainbows and hatchet fish along with my cories, would that be good? How many of each of the hatchet fish and rainbows would you suggest?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought of something about hatchetfish. I have a 750 gal/hour powerhead in my tank since my filter is at one end of my 4 foot long tank. I need to use the powerhead to get the water moving enough. Will this strong current be too much for them? I am still researching them to see what is good for them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Common plecos easily hit over a foot long, and will destroy plants if you have any.

Plecos are annoying becase there are several different species of "common" pleco, some only getting 6" in length, others getting 24". Maybe you could show us a pic or something, but I can say with 90% certanty that the pleco you have is going to be the kind that grows too big for a 66.

Not to mention, pleco's poop like there's no tomorrow, and then tend to be one of those fish that really adds onto the bioload.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

I am pretty sure he is going to end up one of the big ones. :( He grew from about 1.5" to over 3" in about 2 months. It is really too bad because I love him.

He does poop an insane amount.

Anyone have any advice on the current in my tank and hatchetfish?

Oh, if I can do hatchetfish I was thinking 10 albino cories, 10 hatchetfish, and 6 rainbow fish. How does that sound for stocking?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry if I am coming off as a little rude here but I have already decided/said that I was going to return my pleco. I don't think I need to keep reading that I made a big mistake. I thought I had researched enough and I thought my tank would be big enough. Mistake made and mistake will be corrected.

Also, my stocking list for my tank includes 10 cories.

Anyone have any advice on the current in my tank from the 750 gal/hr koralia powerhead and hatchetfish?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.