The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Warning: long post ahead but i would really appreciate the help!

I store a couple of bottled water in our freezer, wash it once it’s frozen, and hang it inside my aquarium to keep the tank cool. Since I live in a tropical country, and we have no centralized AC in the area of my aquarium, tank temp usually hovers at around 31 degrees celsius (87-88 degrees fahrenheit). With a mini fan running across the top of my aquarium, and about 3 frozen water bottle changes daily, I can lower it at an average of 28 degrees celsius (82 degrees fahrenheit).

It’s a lot of work but since my main light just broke (the aquarium’s running on low light now that’s why it’s a bit dark), I wanted to take advantage of it and go into water chemistry to ensure my plants, fishes, and shrimps thrive excellently this time, while my main lights are being repaired.

Got an API test kit and here are the details right before water change:
pH - 7.2,
Ammonia - 0ppm,
Nitrite - 0ppm,
Nitrate - 20-40ppm,
GH - 13 (232ppm),
KH - 11 (196ppm),
CO2 - ive got a tank and diffuser and indicator’s always green (it’s just blue in the video cos i just changed the indicator together with the water change)

Once my main lamp is repaired, tank would run on a 36 watt (2 18 watts) LED lights lamp, on every 12-1pm and 5-1130pm.

I want my 65gal tank to be lush green with Monte Carlo carpet plants, a little like iwagumi style tanks. I currently have around 35 cardinal tetras, 3 amano shrimps, about 20 red rili shrimps, 5 bronze corydoras, and 5 otocinclus catfishes. I have managed to grow a lot of floating plants but I can easily remove it if it doesn’t help and just contributes to dirt to my aquarium

I’m planning to “cheat” the growth of my MC by buying a lot but still planting it by square chunks. I originally bought just a few so i can just wait for it to crawl along my carpet, but for some reason green hair algae outgrows the carpet plant, which is why I’m doing all this to ensure good growth this time around. I feel like it’s because (1) I started late on looking at water chemistry, (2) I didn’t have enough plant biomass, and (3) I think I should’ve done dry method for this type of setup.

Once the lights are repaired and the new plants come in, the last thing I’ll do is try to reduce my GH and KH somehow.
Any help/comment will be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Day 1 of replanting
  • replanted 2 tubs of MC
  • finally repaired my main lamp
  • bought Seachem Flourish Advance, Nitrogen, Phosphorus,and Potassium to complement the only fertilizer I’ve been using: Seachem Flourish. Hopefully delivery arrives soon
  • i have no way of knowing if my newly repaired LED lamp will do... but it seems bright enough

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting post. I have been struggling with MC carpet myself. I wrote up a post on my experience. Growing Monte Carlo as a Carpet – My Experience so far

I can tell you that my water temp was at 28 deg C and the MC has made a comeback. So you can still grow the carpet without the need for keeping temperate water temperatures.
Keep the water params stable. I am not sure of the impact of your GH and KH on MC, mine is stable since I use RO water and remineralise to TDS of 120 with a Ca:Mg 4:1 ratio.
Trimming maintenance is key, every 2-3 weeks some maintenance and replant the longer stemmed trims. Your RHS has grown better than your LHS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting post. I have been struggling with MC carpet myself. I wrote up a post on my experience. Growing Monte Carlo as a Carpet – My Experience so far

I can tell you that my water temp was at 28 deg C and the MC has made a comeback. So you can still grow the carpet without the need for keeping temperate water temperatures.
Keep the water params stable. I am not sure of the impact of your GH and KH on MC, mine is stable since I use RO water and remineralise to TDS of 120 with a Ca:Mg 4:1 ratio.
Trimming maintenance is key, every 2-3 weeks some maintenance and replant the longer stemmed trims. Your RHS has grown better than your LHS.
Thank you for your insightful reply! Your story in the link you shared really helped. I will keep those in mind while growing my MCs thru the course of the next few months. I will keep on updating this thread of my progress. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts