The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on setting up a 65 gallon AGA tank soon. I am uncertain as to what type of stand would support this tank. I am looking at Big Al's Stingray stands from the online store. They are a cheaper alternative to getting a stand at the LFS. Does anyone know if one of these would support that kind of weight. Any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I didn't want to take the chance of building one (I'm not that crafty) so I went ahead and purchased the matching wooden stand that came with it. Talk to your LFS where you got your stand. It's the same footprint as the 40 and 50 g breeder so they can order one for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Big Al's stingray stands are pretty sturdy, I have one for my 40 gallon tank. However, there isn't much storage space on the stands that are 36" long.

Another option would be the aquatic fundamentals stands that are sold via Dr. Foster Smiths.
Aquarium Stands & Furniture: Aquatic Fundamentals Aquarium Stands & Canopies
They look like they have ample storage for canisters/sumps/buckets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would anyone care to comment on the comparitive quality of the types of stands available in the LFS vs. 'knockdown type' stands with cam locks etc., which are made of MDF or particle board.
I know the Big Als stand would have a flat top while the All glass stands only support a tank around it's edges. I would imagine both are quite sturdy and would serve the purpose but the all glass stands are just more expensive and really aren't that special when you get to examining them. Just curious what some of you use and what your experiences are. It's my first large tank (65g) and I want it to be solid and secure. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts