The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently getting stuff together for a 65gallon tank. I am putting it together a piece at a time and would like to hear some suggestions about useful hardware. The tank will be for Discus, of which I'm keeping a pair now and have been for a while.
I have some substrate together and I'm planning on either going with an all sand substrate and a layer of laterite / or a back area of something like eco=complete with a all sand and open foreground. I will be planting taller plants like swords or the really tall anubias in the back area with the foreground empty. What type of filter will stand up to sand and be good for a discus aquarium? I am going to be mixing ADA bright sand with Carib Sea's white sand, trying to get it to look more natural.
What would be a good lighting choice? I am trying to go fairly low tech for now but I might be adding pressurized CO2 at some point. How much lighting would I need to grow swords well without growing algae? I would like to keep the lighting costs around 150.00.
Any suggestions on an excellent heater for a large aquarium? I am think about an eheim 250 watt. Any help would be great I am still in a planning and thinking stage with this and will likely start a phot journal when I get to putting it all together. I just got an awesome cedar driftwood centerpiece from Old River Rat Driftwood, now I've gott' figure out how to sink this baby.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
When you get a chance, scroll through my journal "my 65g chronicle"...put that in the search and you'll come up with my specs for my tank.

As far as a light that will give you room to expand...maybe the coralife 192watt double fixture...each light is independent so you can start with just one on for now...once you do decide to upgrade to pressurized, you can turn the other one on. The only bad thing is the tank is deep so even 96 watts will be hitting the low-end of the threshold. Any co2 will be a benefit, so even DIY will help to some degree.

As far as a heater...IME the Eheims (old Jager) are not any good...I (and many others who keep discus now) are using the visitherm stealth, if you aren't planning on running a heater in-line (hydor).

Sand...can't suggest since I just use plain ol' fluorite.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..that is a nice journal. I thought about using the coralife 1X96 watt fixture and adding a 42 watt T5 fixture on behind that, given the depth could I still expect a realistic 2wpg out of that setup? I don't think I can bring myself to spring for the eheim canisters, I will probably have to go with Rena. Did you find you needed a lot of flow in your 65, how many times were you turning the water over? I would also be curious if you got much growth from the discus in the planted environment and what did you use as a staple feed?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Thanks...things have changed drastically and I'm in a re-growth stage so no pictures until it starts to take shape :)

An XP3 will work fine...good bang for the buck. Actually, I think a 2026 provides a ton of flow...toss in another 2213 and I'm sure I'm overkill :) A single XP3 should be fine so long as the spraybar or jet is positioned well. There will inevitably be some dead spots once your tank starts to fill in.

The lighting of 2 wpg should be fine (the 96 w plus the 45)...you should still be able to grow a multitude of plants. From what everyone is raving about the t-5's I would suspect it would be best to put that fixture on the front if you're considering any foreground plants.

The discus...ah, they started out with beefheart...which they never liked...and mostly bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and tons of tetra color bits. Since they're older the staple is bits twice a day and blood worms at night once I get home from work.

Sometimes I'll do 2x water changes a week, but I've managed just 1/week.

One of the guys should be "culled" by the snobby discus standard, but I'm a huge football fan...might as well have one swimming around :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.