The Planted Tank Forum banner

81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Looks good! Couple of things I've learned from my similar projects:
- An automatic mister is one of those things that (unless you diligently hand mist and keep the humidity high) will make the moss growth better
- The crabs actually don't need much water
- If you go with more water, hiding the heater in the water works well to control humidity through evaporation
- Lighting is key, and keeping a good spectrum high intensity light also is needed for moss growth. Moss likes more light than you think
- Not sure about the sump, can't say if the glass would crack, but with such a cool tank, I wouldn't risk it. If you're tearing down, I'd go with an exoterra next time for the terrarium aspect, and convert this tank to a full riparium or paludarium but centered on the significant water part
- If you're going with water/land separated paludarium in the future, know that your silicone seal will break eventually flooding the land part
- No waterfalls without algae!
- I'd incorporate tree fern panels into the walls rather than smear the clay with moss mix directly. Not only are there fern spores in the tree fern panels that will sprout eventually, but also can you add moss much easier.
- Hygrolon is nice, not worth it in my opinion
- Think about building the project in such a way that you can always get to all hardware, and that it's removable.
- Finally, understand that this is a time-limited set up and everything will eventually fail. It's just how it is sadly, and nothing can be done about it.
- and finally on the crabs, bicolors are much tougher to keep/breed than red devils. Also, the devils will show themselves a lot more. I've bred/kept both and the red devils are hands down much more fun as animals

Sorry for the sermon. Keep it up!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Do you have to do a full tear down to apply the things you've learned and think you can do better? Maybe a partial tear down? It would be a shame to tear down such a beautiful tank, but I can understand the need/want to start over.
Yeah I have given it a lot of thought and the wife and I are talking about moving in the near future so I will probably live with what I have now and upgrade at that time. I knew when I started this tank that a sump would be best. I think I am going to upgrade the lighting for now and by the time I move and have to tear down this tank I will have had got enough use out of it that if I crack it trying to drill it I won't be as upset.

Bump:
Looks good! Couple of things I've learned from my similar projects:
- An automatic mister is one of those things that (unless you diligently hand mist and keep the humidity high) will make the moss growth better
- The crabs actually don't need much water
- If you go with more water, hiding the heater in the water works well to control humidity through evaporation
- Lighting is key, and keeping a good spectrum high intensity light also is needed for moss growth. Moss likes more light than you think
- Not sure about the sump, can't say if the glass would crack, but with such a cool tank, I wouldn't risk it. If you're tearing down, I'd go with an exoterra next time for the terrarium aspect, and convert this tank to a full riparium or paludarium but centered on the significant water part
- If you're going with water/land separated paludarium in the future, know that your silicone seal will break eventually flooding the land part
- No waterfalls without algae!
- I'd incorporate tree fern panels into the walls rather than smear the clay with moss mix directly. Not only are there fern spores in the tree fern panels that will sprout eventually, but also can you add moss much easier.
- Hygrolon is nice, not worth it in my opinion
- Think about building the project in such a way that you can always get to all hardware, and that it's removable.
- Finally, understand that this is a time-limited set up and everything will eventually fail. It's just how it is sadly, and nothing can be done about it.
- and finally on the crabs, bicolors are much tougher to keep/breed than red devils. Also, the devils will show themselves a lot more. I've bred/kept both and the red devils are hands down much more fun as animals

Sorry for the sermon. Keep it up!!
You kidding me?!? No need to apologize thank you for all the info!

Yeah there really isn't that much info out there about geosesarma. I like the bi-color a lot more but I can get red devils locally so might consider them.

Do you know anything about the disco crabs?

Also do you know if geosesarma can hybridize? Not that I want to just curious and can never get a straight answer.

I have the exo terras for my darts and this tank previously held 65 gallons and I don't think I want to go back to that kind of set up. Even if I change and go with a sump I will probably still have a false bottom and will hide the outflow somehow.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
OK so I decided to upgrade the lighting first on this to see if that helps. Going to see what kind of difference that makes and if moss growth isn't improving all that much I will install either a mister or a DIY fogger.

Here is the light I got, its a Tincman herps 22" LED with red and blue LED's along with the white.

Here is a before without the light:

Here is the after:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Looks pretty dang nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I was looking through this thread and realized how much everything other than the moss has grown in. If I could get the moss on board I would be a lot more happy with this tank. Moss is so frustrating!

I forgot to mention previously that I added 2 true SAE and 6 Badis badis. Hardly ever see the the Badis with all the rock work. I am definitely getting some killis at some point either Epiplatys annulatus or Epiplatys dageti monroviae the idea with the Killis is to pick off any fruit flies that make their way into the water area. The Aphyosemion striatum doesn't really mess with them. What I do is I feed out fruit flies for my darts over this tank so any that don't make it into the collection cup fall into the water of the tank. I am wondering if the annulatus will be big enough to eat the hydei or if the dageti will be too big and would go after shrimp when I get them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Here are some photos of the growth:

Overall land section:

Moss on lava rock

Ficus has exploded lately

One place the moss seems to be doing well is poking up between fronds of club moss (might be hard to see)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Honestly haven't seen them out too much lately. I think the heater I have in there might not be working and I haven't had the chance to check it out yet (another reason I want to go the sump route). I see one of them almost everyday the others have been hiding a lot. The tank is in my basement so it gets a little chilly down there.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Yeah that could be I saw one in the water molting the other day. They like to hang out on the lip of the HMF behind the rocks. I have to shine a flashlight to see them in there but you can see their glowing eyes. I think if I redo the tank I will focus on not giving them as many gaps to hide in so they stay out in the open more.

I might just be imagining things but I am starting to see some moss growth after putting in the light (not sure if it was there before)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I've been too engrossed in watching what you're doing to comment or even hit "LIKE." That's a good sign I would say. It's awesome, IMHO.

Bump: Me too!! I am fascinated by the whole thing and a bit jealous, too.
Thank you very much......but you're never to engrossed to hit like :wink2:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Woah the crab molts are much cooler than shrimp molts. They actually retain colour, and a lot of the shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah at first I thought it was a dead crab but it was hollow and didn't smell.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
So I found a source for Clown Killies! WC from Sierra Leone. Should be coming in on Wednesday.

I also was at a LFS and came across pygmy sparkling gouramis and thought they were pretty cool, anyone here have any experience with them.

81 - 100 of 148 Posts